Great dynasties of the world: The Jacksons

« Older   Newer »

1. two4mj
        Top   -1

User deleted

Great dynasties of the world: The Jacksons

They are, according to Rolling Stone magazine, “America’s black royal family”. But, unlike most royal families, their first four singles went to No 1: I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save and I’ll Be There. They are, of course, the Jacksons.

Everyone knows about Bubbles the Chimp, and Neverland, and the sparkly glove, and Thriller, and the child-abuse allegations against Michael, and Janet Jackson’s “wardrobe malfunction” at the Super Bowl, and Michael Jackson’s tragic early death. But behind the extraordinary tabloid headlines there was … an extraordinary tabloid family life.

The Jacksons were brought up in a tiny three-room house at 2300 Jackson Street in Gary, Indiana, an unprepossessing steel city south of Chicago. There were 10 children: Maureen (known as “Rebbie”), Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, La Toya, Marlon, Michael, Randy and Janet. Marlon’s twin brother Brandon died at birth.

The children’s father, Joseph Jackson, worked during the day at a steel mill and at night he played with his brother in an R&B band called the Falcons. Their mother, Katherine Scruse, was a devout Jehovah’s Witness who played the clarinet and piano – as a child, she had been crippled by polio.

In his heart-breaking autobiography, Moonwalk, Michael Jackson writes: “When you’re a show business child, you really don’t have the maturity to understand a great deal of what is going on around you. People make a lot of decisions concerning your life when you’re out of the room … I remember my childhood as mostly work … The majority of our time was spent working.” Joseph decided that his children were not going to end up working in the steel mill. He set them to work as musicians.

He bought them guitars, a bass and microphones, and they rehearsed, and rehearsed: Tito on guitar; Jermaine on bass; Marlon on percussion; Jackie singing and playing tambourine; Michael singing and dancing. Joseph was a perfectionist. When the boys messed up, he beat them. They soon started winning talent shows.

In 1967, the Jackson brothers turned professional. They did the so-called Chitlin’ circuit – nightclubs, honky-tonk bars and restaurants where black entertainers were allowed to perform. In 1968, they signed to Motown Records. The hard work had paid off. “I couldn’t believe it,” recalls Berry Gordy, founder of the Motown, “they blew us all away.” In 1971, the family moved to Los Angeles and lived in a big mock Tudor mansion, Hayvenhurst. They were a phenomenon. They made six albums for Motown in 10 years. Then they left Motown and signed with CBS – except for Jermaine, who stayed with Motown. And so younger brother Randy joined the Jacksons. They made a TV series. They made more albums. Michael developed a solo career. The brothers reformed for the successful Victory album and tour in 1984, but then Michael and Marlon left the group. Joe was accused of mismanagement of their careers – and worse.

Marlon got into real estate. The two girls, La Toya and Janet, developed successful careers of their own. Jermaine converted to Islam, and appeared on Celebrity Big Brother. And Michael was Michael.

Third-generation Jacksons continue to make music. Jackie Jackson’s son, known as Dealz, is signed to his father’s record label, and released his debut single earlier this year. 3T are an R&B group made up of Tito’s three sons.

There is a YouTube clip of the Jacksons performing their first Motown hit, “I Want You Back” for a TV special in Madison Square Garden in 2001. “If we do it,” says Michael, “we’ll do it the old-fashioned way, like in 1970 on the Ed Sullivan show.” As the middle-aged brothers dip and jive their way through the old routine, for a moment you can see them as little boys again, spurred on to greatness by a father determined for them to succeed, at any cost. Watch it and weep.

TRADUZIONE:

Grandi dinastie del mondo: The Jacksons

Essi sono, secondo la rivista, Rolling Stone "Famiglia reale nero dell'America". Ma, a differenza della maggior parte delle famiglie reali, i loro primi quattro singoli andarono a No 1: I Want You Back, ABC, The Love si salva e I'll Be There. Essi sono, ovviamente, i Jacksons.

Tutti conoscono Bubbles, lo scimpanzé e Neverland e il guanto luccicante e Thriller e le accuse di abuso di bambino contro Michael e tragica morte precoce "Guardaroba malfunzionamento" di Janet Jackson al Super Bowl e Michael Jackson. Ma dietro i titoli dei giornali tabloid straordinario... c'era una vita familiare straordinario tabloid.

Il Jacksons erano cresciuti in una piccola casa di tre stanze a 2300 Jackson Street a Gary, Indiana, un'attraente città d'acciaio a sud di Chicago. C'erano 10 bambini: Maureen (noto come "Rebbie"), Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, La Toya, Marlon, Randy e Michael e Janet. Fratello gemello di Marlon Brandon è morto alla nascita.

Padre di bambini, Joseph Jackson ha lavorato durante il giorno presso un'acciaieria e di notte ha giocato con il fratello in una banda di R&B chiamata i falchi. La loro madre, Katherine Scruse, era una devota testimone di Geova, che suonava il clarinetto e pianoforte – come un bambino, era stato paralizzato dalla polio.

Nella sua autobiografia straziante, Moonwalk, Michael Jackson scrive: "quando sei un bambino del mondo dello spettacolo, davvero non hai la maturità di capire molto di ciò che sta succedendo intorno a voi. Persone fanno un sacco di decisioni che riguardano la tua vita quando sei fuori dalla stanza... Mi ricordo la mia infanzia come per lo più lavoro... La maggior parte del nostro tempo era trascorso lavorando". Joseph ha deciso che i figli non stavano per finire lavorando in acciaieria. Egli impostarli per lavorare come musicisti.

Egli li ha comprati, chitarre, un basso e microfoni, e hanno provato e provato: Tito alla chitarra; Jermaine al basso; Marlon alle percussioni; Jackie cantando e suonando il tamburello; Michael cantando e ballando. Giuseppe era un perfezionista. Quando i ragazzi incasinato, egli batterli. Hanno cominciato presto vincente spettacolini.

Nel 1967, i fratelli Jackson divenne professionisti. Hanno fatto il cosiddetto circuito Chitlin' – discoteche, Honky-Tonk bar e ristoranti dove animatori neri sono stati autorizzati ad effettuare. Nel 1968, hanno firmato con la Motown Records. Aveva pagato il duro lavoro. "Io non riuscivo a crederci," ricorda Berry Gordy, fondatore di Motown, "essi ci soffiò via tutto." Nel 1971, la famiglia si trasferì a Los Angeles e viveva in un grande palazzo finte Tudor, Hayvenhurst. Essi erano un fenomeno. Hanno fatto sei album per la Motown in 10 anni. Poi hanno lasciato Motown e firmato con CBS – tranne Jermaine, che rimase con la Motown. E così il fratello Randy si unì il Jacksons. Hanno fatto una serie TV. Hanno fatto altri album. Michael ha sviluppato una carriera da solista. I fratelli riformarono per il successo vittoria album e tour nel 1984, ma poi Michael e Marlon lasciarono il gruppo. Joe è stato accusato di cattiva gestione delle loro carriere – e peggio.

Marlon ha ottenuto nel settore immobiliare. Le due ragazze, La Toya e Janet, ha sviluppato una carriera di successo dei loro propri. Jermaine convertito all'Islam ed è apparso su Celebrity Big Brother. E Michael era Michael.

Terza generazione Jacksons continuano a fare musica. Figlio di Jackie Jackson, noto come Dealz, è firmato per l'etichetta discografica di suo padre e pubblicato il suo singolo di debutto di quest'anno. 3T sono un gruppo di R&B composto da tre figli di Tito.

C'è un clip di YouTube di il Jacksons eseguendo il loro primo hit Motown, "I Want You Back" per una TV speciale al Madison Square Garden nel 2001. "Se lo facciamo," dice Michael, "lo faremo alla vecchia maniera, come nel 1970 l'Ed Sullivan Show." Come il tuffo di mezza età fratelli e jive loro modo attraverso la vecchia routine, per un attimo si può vederli come ragazzini ancora, spronato alla grandezza di un padre per loro determinato per riuscire, ad ogni costo. Guardare e piangere.

http://businessdayonline.com/2013/12/great...d-the-jacksons/

0 replies since 13/12/2013, 13:21   67 views