Berry Gordy Remembers Michael Jackson's Motown Audition With The Jackson 5 (VIDEO)

« Older   Newer »

1. giulhia
        Top   -1

User deleted

Berry Gordy Remembers Michael Jackson's Motown Audition With The Jackson 5 (VIDEO)

Catturatomjnews

By OWN
    Posted: 06/13/2013 10:22 am

As the legendary founder of Motown, Berry Gordy Jr. signed many now-iconic music stars to his 1960s record label -- Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Temptations and Smokey Robinson, to name a few. Berry admits that he never liked children's groups, but that changed the day he saw a very young Michael Jackson audition for Motown with the Jackson 5.

In this video from Berry's upcoming appearance on "Oprah's Master Class," he vividly recalls watching Michael's performance and being blown away by Michael's talent. Not only was Berry impressed with Michael's moves, but he was also amazed by the boy's on-stage presence.

"On stage, he was one kind of person -- he was like this master of what he was doing," Berry says. "When he was through, he was very quiet and almost shy."

Even though the Michael's talent was undeniable, Berry says that he wasn't sure if he wanted to sign the Jackson 5 to Motown Records. Could Berry break his own rules and sign a kid's group? "I couldn't make up my mind," he admits. "Here's this kid… singing a Smokey song that seemed like he had been living it for 30 years! So, right away, we were saying, 'This is an old man in a kid's body' because he'd sung 'Who's Loving You' better than Smokey -- and Smokey did a phenomenal job."

If he was going to make it work, Berry knew that Michael and the Jackson 5 needed to sing something that sounded age-appropriate. "I told Suzanne [de Passe of Motown], 'They're going to need something that a kid would sing,'" Berry says. "So, I just came up with a kind of melody of my own."

The melody Berry imagined ended up influencing Jackson 5 songs like the number-one hit "ABC," leading to a string of additional successes. "There's no other group, I think, before or since [the Jackson 5] that has had their first four records go to number one," Berry says.

Berry Gordy's full interview airs on "Oprah's Master Class" this Sunday, June 16, at 9 p.m. ET on OWN.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/13/b...l?utm_hp_ref=tw

To see original video only here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/13/berry-gordy-michael-jackson-motown-jackson-5_n_3428237.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

- Traduzione-

Berry Gordy ricorca l'audizione alla Motown di Michael Jacksnon e i Jackson 5

Come leggendario fondatore della Motown , Berry Gordy Jr. ha firmato contratti con molte star della musica, ormai iconiche, per la sua etichetta discografica negli anni 1960 - Diana Ross e le Supremes, The Temptations e Smokey Robinson, per citarne alcuni. Berry ammette che a lui non sono mai piaciuti i gruppi di bambini , ma che ha cambiato idea il giorno in cui vide l'audizione, per Motown, di un giovanissimo Michael Jackson i Jackson 5 .

In questo video sulla prossima apparizione di Berry sul "Master Class di Oprah", ha vividi ricordi nel guardare le prestazioni di Michael lasciandosi trasportare dal talento di Michael. Berry non era stato colpito soltanto dalle mosse di Michael, ma era anche stupito dalla presenza sul palco del ragazzo.

"Sul palco, lui era un tipo di persona - era un maestro in quello che stava facendo", dice Berry. "Quando finiva, lui era molto tranquillo e quasi timido."

Anche se il talento di Michael era innegabile, Berry dice che non era sicuro di voler includere i Jackson 5 alla Motown Records. Potrebbe Berry infrangere le proprie regole e firmare un contratto con un gruppo di bambini? "Non potrei mascherare il mio pensiero", ammette. "Qui c'è questo ragazzo ... sta cantando una canzone di Smokey e sembra che abbia vissuto per 30 anni! Così, subito, dicevamo, 'Questo è un vecchio uomo nel corpo di un ragazzo' perché aveva cantato 'Who's Loving You 'meglio di Smokey - e Smokey aveva fatto un lavoro fenomenale ".

Egli aveva intenzione di farlo lavorare, Berry sapeva che Michael e i Jackson 5 avevano bisogno di cantare qualcosa che adatto alla loro età. "Ho detto Suzanne [de Passe di Motown], 'Essi avevano bisogno di qualcosa che un bambino avrebbe cantato'", dice Berry. "Allora, ho trovato una sorta di mia melodia ."

La melodia che Berry immaginava ha finito per influenzare le canzoni dei Jackson 5 "ABC" numero uno nelle classifiche, che ha portato ad una serie di successi ulteriori. "Non c'è nessun altro gruppo, penso che, prima o dopo [i Jackson 5] che ha avuto i suoi primi quattro dischi al primo posto nelle classifiche ", dice Berry.

Intervista completa di Berry Gordy andrà in onda su "Master Class di Oprah" questa Domenica 16 giugno, alle 9 pm ET su OWN.

Il video e' visibile solo a questo link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/13/b...l?utm_hp_ref=tw

0 replies since 13/6/2013, 22:57   75 views