Michael Jackson death trial jurors: 'Stunned' ... 'cheated' by verdict process

« Older   Newer »

1. two4mj
        Top   -1

User deleted

Michael Jackson death trial jurors: 'Stunned' ... 'cheated' by verdict process

By Alan Duke, CNN

Katherine Jackson: Michael's mother, 82, was deposed for nine hours over three days by AEG Live lawyers. As the guardian of her son's three children, she is a plaintiff in the wrongful death lawsuit against the company that promoted Michael Jackson's comeback concerts

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Four jurors in the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial said they feel cheated by the outcome, which they blame on a misleading verdict form.

The six-month-long trial ended in October with a victory for AEG Live, the concert promoter Jackson's mother and children had claimed was liable for his death because it hired, retained or supervised the doctor convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death.

The jurors, whose sworn statements were attached to a motion for a new trial filed Thursday by Katherine Jackson's lawyers, said most of the jury wanted to find concert promoter AEG Live liable in Jackson's 2009 death.

Along with arguing that the verdict form was faulty, the Jackson lawyers contend the judge erred by refusing to let them pursue a negligence claim independent of the hiring case.

AEG not liable in Michael Jackson's death, jury finds

Jackson died from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol on June 25, 2009, which Dr. Conrad Murray told police he used to treat the pop icon's insomnia as he prepared for a tour produced by AEG Live.

They jurors used the words "stunned," "upset" and "shocked" when they were told they had to stop deliberations after a majority agreed that the answer was "no" to the second question on the verdict form -- "Was Dr. Conrad Murray unfit or incompetent to perform the work for which he was hired?"

One juror called the question "a trap that prevented us from deliberating on the real issues of the case."

"After sitting through almost six months of the trial in this case, I believed that Mrs. Jackson had proven her case against AEG LIve," another juror said. "Despite this fact, I had no way of voting in favor of the plaintiffs because of the way that the verdict form was worded."

Jackson lawyers, in their arguments for a new trial, contend that Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazeulos erred by denying their request to add the words "at any time" to the question.

The four jurors, whose names were redacted from the documents released by the court, agreed.

"I would like the judge to know that we did not have the opportunity to deliberate or render a verdict on the plaintiffs claims that Dr Murray did not become unfit or incompetent until after the conflict of interest was created, Dr. Murray's duties were changed, pressures were mounting, or even after the contract was prepared and signed by Dr. Murray," one juror said.

The jury voted "no" only after one member convinced them that the question could have only meant "at the time he was hired," two of the juror statements said.

Conrad Murray talks about Michael Jackson's death

"During our deliberations, I asked to send a question to the judge to explain Question 2, but by then the foreman had already answered 'no' and followed the instructions to sign the form," one said. "I feel so cheated because I sat through five months of trial and listened to a lot of evidence on the ethical conflict created -- yet I never got to even deliberate at all on that issue or even review the hundreds of exhibits that had been brought in."

Another juror said they decided not to ask the judge for direction on the second question because "we did not want anyone to know where we were in deliberations."

"I do not believe that the verdict form was fair or worded correctly, and as phrased, Question 2 was a trap that prevented us from deliberating on the real issues of the case," a juror said.

The same juror described the emotional toll it has caused. "Since the jury verdict, I have been very upset, and initially I was unable to eat or even check my e-mails because I was so sorry about the verdict and the fact that justice was not done in this case, because of how question 2 on the verdict form was worded."

"I do not think that justice was achieved in this case," another said.

The affidavits revealed that one of the 12 jurors refused to stop deliberating despite being told it was over. "He insisted that we continue answering the rest of the questions," a juror said.

Judge Palazeulos will hear arguments on the new trial motion on January 3.

TRADUZIONE:

Giurati processo di morte Michael Jackson: 'Storditi'... 'ingannati' dal verdetto del processo

Los Angeles (CNN) - quattro giurati la morte di Michael Jackson illecito prova ha detto che si sentono presi in giro dai risultati, che hanno la colpa su una forma ingannevole di verdetto.

Il processo di sei-mese-lunga si è conclusa nel mese di ottobre con una vittoria per AEG Live, il concerto promotore avevano sostenuto la madre e i figli di Jackson fu responsabile della sua morte perché assunto, conservati o sotto la supervisione del medico condannato per omicidio involontario nella morte.

I giurati, cui dichiarazioni giurate sono state fissate ad una mozione per un nuovo prova giovedì archiviato da avvocati di Katherine Jackson, ha detto la maggior parte della giuria voluta trovare responsabile nel 2009 morte Jackson concerto promotore AEG Live.

Insieme a sostenendo che la forma del verdetto era difettosa, gli avvocati di Jackson sostengono che il giudice ha commesso un errore rifiutando di lasciarli a perseguire una negligenza rivendicazione indipendente del caso assumente.

AEG non responsabile nella morte di Michael Jackson, la giuria trova

Jackson è morto per un'overdose del propofol anestetico chirurgico su 25 giugno 2009, che il dottor Conrad Murray ha detto alla polizia che ha usato per trattare l'insonnia di icona pop, mentre si preparava per un tour, prodotto da AEG Live.

I giurati usavano le parole "stordito", "sconvolto" e "scioccato" quando veniva detto loro hanno dovuto interrompere deliberazioni dopo una maggioranza ha accettato che la risposta era "No" alla seconda domanda sul modulo verdetto... "è stato il dottor Conrad Murray non idonei o incompetente a svolgere il lavoro per il quale è stato assunto?"

Un giurato chiamato la questione "una trappola che ci ha impedito di deliberare sulle questioni reali del caso".

"Dopo seduta attraverso quasi sei mesi di sperimentazione, in questo caso, ho creduto che la signora Jackson aveva dimostrato il suo caso contro l'AEG LIve," un altro giurato ha detto. "Nonostante questo fatto, io non aveva modo di votare a favore della parte attrice a causa del modo che la forma del verdetto era formulata."

Gli avvocati di Jackson, nel loro argomenti per un nuovo processo, sostengono che il Los Angeles County Superior Court giudice Yvette Palazeulos sbagliato negando loro richiesta per aggiungere le parole "in qualsiasi momento" alla domanda.

I quattro giurati, i cui nomi erano redatto dai documenti rilasciati dal Tribunale, ha accettato.

"Vorrei che il giudice di sapere che non abbiamo avuto l'opportunità di deliberare o eseguire il rendering di un verdetto sulle attestazioni querelanti quel dottor Murray non è diventato inadatto o incompetenti fino a dopo che è stato creato il conflitto di interessi, doveri del Dr. Murray sono stati cambiati, pressioni erano montaggio o anche dopo il contratto è stato preparato e firmato dal dottor Murray"un giurato ha detto.

La giuria votato "no" solo dopo che un membro li convinse che la questione potrebbe avere solo significato "all'epoca fu ingaggiato," due delle affermazioni giurato ha detto.

Conrad Murray parla della morte di Michael Jackson

"Durante le nostre delibere, ho chiesto di inviare una domanda al giudice per spiegare la domanda 2, ma da allora il caposquadra aveva già risposto 'no' e seguite le istruzioni per firmare il modulo," uno ha detto. "Mi sento truffato così perché mi sono seduto attraverso cinque mesi di sperimentazione e ascoltato un sacco di prove sul conflitto etico creato..--eppure non ho mai recensione anche deliberata a tutti su quel problema o addirittura centinaia di mostre che era stato portato in".

Un altro giurato ha detto che hanno deciso di non chiedere il giudice direzione sulla seconda domanda perché "non volevamo qualcuno per sapere dove siamo stati nelle deliberazioni."

"Non credo che la forma verdetto era equo o formulato correttamente e come formulata, 2 domanda era una trappola che ci ha impedito di deliberare sulle questioni reali del caso," ha detto un giurato.

Il giurato stesso descritto il pedaggio emotivo che ha causato. "Poiché il verdetto della giuria, sono stato molto turbato, e inizialmente sono stato in grado di mangiare o controllare anche mie e-mail perché ero così mi dispiace per il verdetto e il fatto che la giustizia non è stato fatto in questo caso, a causa di come è stata formulata domanda 2 Form verdetto".

"Non credo che la giustizia è stato raggiunto in questo caso," disse l'altro.

L'affidavit ha rivelato che uno dei 12 giurati che si rifiutò di fermare la delibera nonostante viene detto che era finita. "Ha insistito che continuiamo a rispondere al resto delle domande", ha detto un giurato.

Palazeulos giudice sentirà argomenti sul nuovo moto trial il 3 gennaio.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/12/showbiz/...w-trial-motion/

2.     Top   -1

This is it

Group
    Administrator

Status

Michael Jackson's family says jury form flawed, wants new trial

ap_michael_jackson_aeg_lawsuit_ll_131002_16x9t_384
    Brian Panish, attorney for Michael Jackson's family, during closing arguments in the Jackson family's wrongful-death trial. (AL Seib / Los Angeles Times / September 24, 2013)

By Jeff Gottlieb
    December 13, 2013, 6:57 p.m.
    Michael Jackson’s mother and three children have filed a motion for a new trial in their wrongful-death case, which ended 2 1/2 months ago when jurors found concert promoter AEG Live not liable for the singer's overdose death.
    Much of the Jacksons’ motion, filed in Superior Court on Thursday, relies on sworn statements from four jurors who indicated that they found the verdict form confusing.
    The 12 jurors had to answer yes to five questions in order to find AEG liable.
    PHOTOS: Michael Jackson | 1958-2009
    Jurors agreed that AEG Live had hired Dr. Conrad Murray, who administered the fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol to Jackson.
    But they rejected the second question, which asked whether Murray was unfit or incompetent, ending deliberations.
    The Jacksons’ attorneys argue that the verdict form only allowed jurors to focus on Murray’s fitness when he was hired, not “during the course of the relationship” with the pop star
    MICHAEL JACKSON: Complete trial coverage
    “There is no question in my mind that AEG Live was liable,” one juror said in a declaration filed with the motion.
    Another juror said, “…I believed that Mrs. Jackson had proven her case against AEG Live. Despite this fact, I had no way of voting in favor of the plaintiffs because of the way the verdict form was worded.”
    “A third juror wrote, “some of the jurors were stunned and upset after learning that we had to stop deliberations after answering `no’ to Question 2.”
    Following the announcement of the verdict, the jury foreman said panel members were somewhat confused by the question about Murray’s competence but understood its ramifications.
    "We felt he was competent," Gregg Barden said.
    "That doesn't mean we felt he was ethical. If ethical was in the question, it might have been a different outcome," the foreman said.
    The Jacksons argued during the five-month trial that AEG Live negligently hired and supervised Murray.
    AEG said that Murray worked for Jackson and that any money the company was supposed to pay the doctor was an advance to the singer.
    A hearing on the motion is set for Jan. 3.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-l...y#axzz2nQY8wtHe

òòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòòò
    traduzione google

La famiglia di Michael Jackson dice forma giuria viziata, vuole nuovo processo

13 dicembre 2013 , 06:57
    Michael Jackson madre s 'e tre figli hanno presentato una mozione per un nuovo processo nel loro caso illecito di morte, che si è concluso 2 1/2 mesi fa, quando i giurati pensano promoter di concerti AEG Live non risponde di morte per overdose del cantante.
    Gran parte del movimento dei Jacksons ", depositata in Corte Superiore il Giovedi, si basa su dichiarazioni giurate da quattro giurati che hanno indicato che hanno trovato la forma verdetto confusione.
    I 12 giurati hanno dovuto rispondere sì a cinque domande al fine di trovare responsabilità AEG.
    FOTO: Michael Jackson | 1958-2009
    I giurati hanno convenuto che AEG Live aveva assunto il dottor Conrad Murray , che ha somministrato la dose letale di anestetico propofol a Jackson.
    Ma hanno respinto la seconda domanda, che chiedeva se Murray è stato incapace o incompetente, che termina deliberazioni.
    Gli avvocati dei Jacksons 'sostengono che la forma verdetto solo ha permesso ai giurati di concentrarsi sul fitness di Murray quando è stato assunto, non "durante il corso del rapporto" con la pop star
    MICHAEL JACKSON: copertura di prova completa
    "Non c'è alcun dubbio nella mia mente che AEG Live è stato responsabile", ha detto un giurato in una dichiarazione depositata presso la mozione.
    Un altro giurato ha detto, "... credevo che la signora Jackson aveva dimostrato la sua causa contro AEG Live. Nonostante questo fatto, non ho avuto modo di votare a favore dei ricorrenti a causa del modo in cui il modulo verdetto è stato formulato. "
    "Un terzo giurato ha scritto," alcuni dei giurati erano stordito e sconvolto dopo aver appreso che abbiamo dovuto fermare deliberazioni dopo aver risposto 'no' alla domanda 2. "
    Dopo l'annuncio del verdetto, il capo della giuria ha detto che i membri del gruppo erano un po 'confusi dalla domanda circa la competenza di Murray, ma capì le sue ramificazioni.
    "Abbiamo sentito che era competente", ha detto Gregg Barden.
    "Questo non significa che ci siamo sentiti era etico. Se fosse etico in questione, avrebbe potuto essere un risultato diverso", ha detto il caposquadra.
    I Jacksons sostenuto durante la prova di cinque mesi che AEG Live negligenza assunto e supervisionato Murray.
    AEG ha detto che Murray ha lavorato per Jackson e che i soldi la società avrebbe dovuto pagare il medico era un anticipo al cantante.
    L'udienza sulla proposta è fissata per il 3 gennaio.
    INOLTRE:

3. two4mj
        Top   -1

User deleted

Attorneys for Katherine Jackson Files Papers Arguing for New Trial

A hearing on the motion is scheduled for Jan. 3.

Attorneys for Katherine Jackson say in newly filed court papers that flaws in jury instructions and in the verdict form make the case that she deserves a new trial of the lawsuit she filed against the promoters of her pop superstar son's planned comeback tour.

After nearly 14 hours of deliberations over four days, the six-man, six- woman jury determined Oct. 2 that AEG Live did hire Dr. Conrad Murray as Jackson's doctor, but it answered "no" to question No. 2, which asked if Murray was "unfit or incompetent to perform the work for which he was hired."

With that answer, the jury denied any damages to Katherine Jackson and the late Michael Jackson's three children.

In documents filed Thursday, the Jackson lawyers say that once the jurors found Dr. Conrad Murray was competent at the time he was hired, the panel could not go any further and examine his subsequent conduct.

"As given, these instructions and the verdict form were misleading and erroneous in that they did not distinguish between a negligent hiring claim and a negligent retention or supervision claim (what the employer knew or should have known during the course of the relationship.)"

By forcing the jury to stop deliberating after they concluded Murray's capabilities were up to bar when he was hired, the form never allowed the jurors to consider AEG Live's separate ongoing duties relating to supervision and retention, the Jackson attorneys' court papers state.

A hearing on the motion is scheduled for Jan. 3.

Katherine Jackson, the 83-year-old family matriarch, sued in September 2010 on behalf of herself and her son's three children -- Michael Jr., Paris- Michael Katherine and Prince Michael -- claiming that AEG Live hired Murray to be Jackson's personal physician and failed to properly supervise him.

Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for Jackson's death, has since been released from jail. Jackson died June 25, 2009, at age 50 of acute propofol intoxication.

TRADUZIONE:

Avvocati di Katherine Jackson file documenti litigare per il nuovo processo

Un'audizione sul moto è prevista per il 3 gennaio.

Avvocati di Katherine Jackson dice in carte di Corte appena archiviato che difetti nelle istruzioni di giuria e nella forma verdetto rendono il caso che lei merita una nuova prova della causa che ha archiviata contro i promotori del tour pianificato ritorno di suo figlio pop superstar.

Dopo quasi 14 ore di deliberazioni a più di quattro giorni, la giuria del sei-uomo, donna-sei determinato il 2 ottobre che AEG Live ha fatto assumere il dottor Conrad Murray come medico di Jackson, ma ha risposto "no" alla domanda n. 2, che ha chiesto se Murray era "inadatto o incompetente a svolgere il lavoro per il quale è stato assunto".

Con quella risposta, la giuria ha negato qualsiasi danno a Katherine Jackson e tre bambini del compianto Michael Jackson.

Nei documenti depositati giovedì, gli avvocati di Jackson dire che dopo i giurati trovano che il dottor Conrad Murray è stato competente al momento che è stato assunto, il pannello potrebbe non andare oltre ed esaminare la sua condotta successiva.

"Come dato di fatto, queste istruzioni e il modulo verdetto erano errate e fuorvianti in quanto essi non distinguere tra una pretesa assumente negligente e un'attestazione negligente conservazione o vigilanza (ciò che il datore di lavoro sapeva o avrebbe dovuto sapere nel corso del rapporto.)"

Costringendo la giuria a smettere di deliberare dopo che hanno concluso le funzionalità di Murray sono stati fino a barra quando fu ingaggiato, forma mai permesso i giurati a considerare separati dazi in corso di AEG Live relative alla supervisione e ritenzione, stato di carte Corte i legali di Jackson.

Un'audizione sul moto è prevista per il 3 gennaio.

Katherine Jackson, la matriarca di famiglia di 83 anni, citato nel settembre 2010 per conto di se stessa e i tre figli di suo figlio, Michael Jr, Paris-Michael Katherine e Prince Michael - sostenendo che AEG Live assunto Murray, medico personale di Jackson di essere e non è riuscito correttamente a sorvegliare lui.

Murray, che è stato condannato preterintenzionale per la morte di Jackson, è stata rilasciata dal carcere. Jackson è morto 25 giugno 2009, all'età di 50 anni di intossicazione acuta di propofol.

http://encino.patch.com/groups/police-and-...g-for-new-trial

2 replies since 13/12/2013, 13:47   108 views