Revealed: How Michael Jackson's Thriller video which changed the face of music...

« Older   Newer »

1. two4mj
        Top   -1

User deleted

Revealed: How Michael Jackson's Thriller video which changed the face of music 30 years ago today was nearly never made

Thirty years ago to the day Michael Jackson turned the world of pop music and TV on its head with the release of the music video Thriller.

Jackson's Thriller pop music video broke records, boundaries and ascended him to title of The King Of Pop selling over 9m copies alone. It also spawned the MTV generation, setting the standard for an industry for decades to come.

But the superstar’s visionary dream to turn a five minute 12 second pop song into a 14-minute short movie almost didn’t happen, key people behind the project reveal today.

Thriller: Michael Jackson had to front the money for this iconic video when the record company refused to back it

His record label first felt Thriller, the biggest selling album of all time, was not good enough and then refused to finance the video.

Jackson, along with producer Quincy Jones, studio engineer Bruce Swedien and Rod Temperton, ignored his record label, Epic Records, to forge ahead with making the promo. The label died not even plan to release Thriller as a single.

Jackson, desperate to emulate the gore and comedy of the 1981 hit An American Werewolf in London, hired its director John Landis and went to the then fledgling cable channel MTV, urging them to invest in the project.

Brave executives at the station loved the idea but couldn’t afford Michael’s $500,000 bill for the video.

But its chief Bob Pitman, under fire for not playing enough black artists, produced a 'Making Of Thriller' TV special, which he then sold worldwide to finance the full-scale production.

Dramatic: Surrounded by zombie dancers and telling a detailed story, Jackson transformed the music scene

and Michael’s marketing ploys lead to a global revolution in the music scene, with all labels demanding their acts make videos to sell their tunes.

But in 1982, just a year before the success, Jackson’s Thriller CD appeared to be ready for the bargain bins at record stores.

Legendary producer Quincy called in Swedien and Temperton, who had co-written much of Jackson’s previous album Off the Wall, to make some magic in eight weeks at Westlake Studios in LA.

Five-time Grammy winner Bruce revealed: 'They built the studio especially for Michael and us, and we did it in just eight weeks.

'It was non-stop - we would work from noon to the early hours every day. Michael was dedicated, there was and is no one who worked like him, which was good for us.
    'Before sessions he would be in early warming his voice with vocal coaches. He strove to be the best and had a work ethic like no other. He wrote the songs, lyrics and sang them.

'But we knew what we were after and that was to showcase Michael.

'We didn’t know if it would be a hit, because you never know what the public desire and what is going to happen.'

English writer Temperton, who was in 70s disco act Heatwave, penned 40 songs and presented them to Michael, Bruce and Quincy.

Bruce said: 'Michael was a perfectionist and said I want to this album to do a hundred million. He was positive that this would be better and bigger than Off the Wall.

'But the pressure was building and the record company was worried as they wanted it out for Christmas.'

After eight weeks in the studio, Michael hit rock bottom as unimpressed record chiefs blasted the album during their first play back.

Bruce, 79, said: 'It was a disaster. I told the guys it was too long. We were listening to it and saw that the bosses weren’t happy. They went nuts over it when we played it.

'At 28 minutes for one side it was too long for a vinyl disc, which was the primary release medium. In the corner of my eye I noticed Michael slip out of the control room.

'I thought "oh sh** what is going on now" and I followed him. Michael was in a corner sobbing and saying the sound wasn’t right. He was devastated. I told him, "Michael, we have got to make it shorter". All Michael cared about was results - nothing else mattered.

Best: It was voted the best music video of all time in MTV's list marking the end of the 20th century

'We pleaded with the record company to get two more weeks. It was tremendous pressure as we didn’t just remix it down, we started from scratch and edited, orchestrated, recorded new songs and re-did the whole album in two weeks. We even took three songs out, all of which would be hits today, because Michael never wrote a bad song.

'Thriller is only second to my marriage in terms of the energy, devotion and emotion I put into something. Michael was the same.'

After they rushed through the remixed version, bosses loved the shorter version.

The album was eventually released on November 30, 1982, with strong early sales of the CD, then later bolstered by the release of the singles Billie Jean and Beat It.

However, Jackson’s sales went into overdrive after he debuted the moonwalk on US TV in front of 47m viewers at the Motown 25th Anniversary concert in March 1983.

Bruce said: 'Michael always used to dance in the studio so we knew about his moves, but he never expected that reaction. It was a new step for him and being a perfectionist that performance reshaped the way the world saw Michael and pop music entertainment.

'Fred Astaire was right when he said Michael was the greatest dancer of the century.'
    As Jackson's moves beamed around the world Epic execs were happy to let the album sell strongly.

But he wanted to push the envelope by delivering something the world had never seen - a music movie for a pop single.

Bruce continued: 'Michael always wanted to make movies really as well as record records. Michael wanted to make a video that was a complete story, like a mini-movie… and that is what he did. Thriller was the perfect vehicle for that.'

Epic didn’t share his dreams. Happy with the sales and success and expensive promotion of Billie Jean and Beat It videos, refused to give him the cash to fund the project.

and iHe turned to MTV ts boss Bob Pittnam, now president of Clear Channel Communications. He explained: 'The record company paid for Billie Jean and Beat It, but they wouldn’t pay for Thriller and the only way that it would be made is if we paid for it.

'But it would have been a terrible precedent for us to start paying for the production. So what we did was pay for the making of Thriller, sold that and the money was then used to pay for Thriller.

'Technically we didn’t pay for the production of the video, but the money we gave was used for the video and that was the way for it to be made. We were accustomed to what Michael could do, but he blew it out.

'That was a level we had never seen on a music video before and it was the level of drama associated with song. It was the video we couldn’t wait to show everybody.

'It was wildly entertaining and Michael Jackson at his best.'

Michael had tapped up Hollywood director Landis, famous for hits like The Blues Brothers and Trading Places, to oversee the movie.

Bruce was asked to extend the five-minute album track by nine minutes to accompany the dance moves.

Legacy: The song and dance were featured in Jackson's VMA performance in 1995 (pictured)

Pittnam went on: 'Michael loved American Werewolf in London, but wanted to mix pop and film genres to make something more elaborate. He was always saying "It’s got to be the best".

'Michael recorded the vocals in the dark for Thriller, which is quite scary. Music is the only true magic in life. I used his vision too.

'Afterwards, Michael and Quincy just left me for a few days to get the business done. They left me to my own devices for days with a note on the console saying "Call when we should come back" with some pictures drawn by Michael.

'We were hustlers, with Michael trying to change the way the world thought about music. It was a new concept and the record label and others didn’t understand what we were doing.

'The record labels don’t know their ass from their elbows. But we just took the ball and ran with it.

'We didn’t know it was going to turn into this ground breaking masterpiece. We didn’t have time to get emotional about it, we were working hard, like mechanics masquerading as musicians.
    'Michael made a video which just told the world - this is what a music video should looks like. And it has never been bettered.'

After months of deals, the Making Of Thriller was released and then Epic backed the release and promotion of Thriller as both a vinyl single and video.

For weeks it was the most played video on the channel around the world.

Pittnam added: 'We wanted to encourage this total package. When this came out it was like, oh my God Michael had moves no-one has seen and he had an innate sense of how to play for the camera.
    'And then this video translated to the concert business as that is when you started seeing the big productions coming as opposed to a couple of guys and a guitar standing on a stage with a spotlight on them.

'It all started with Michael Jackson. That is why artists from Beyonce to Justin Timberlake to boy bands have backing dancers behind them. He was responsible for many of the visuals you see at concerts today.

'That was one of the greatest gifts we were handed. He was a model for what kind of performer you should be in the post MTV era.'

Musical: It has become the title song of a hit musical about Jackson's life and rise to world success

Bruce laughed: 'It didn’t turn out too bad. Thriller is not a bad record and it made a bit of money. The music industry has never been the same since that came out.

'Thriller enabled us to get away from making records to making music. It changed broadcasting, videos, artists and the shape of the entertainment.'

Since its release Thriller - the album - has sold over 62 million copies and the video has generated over $300m alone.

Proud Bruce said: 'Everywhere I go around the world people ask me about Michael. The interest is phenomenal.

'He was a one off, someone I am proud to have called a friend and a performer the likes of which we will never see again.'

TRADUZIONE:

RIVELATO:Come il video Thriller di Michael Jackson ha cambiato il volto della musica da 30 anni fa ad oggi

Trent'anni fa al giorno Michael Jackson ha girato il mondo della musica pop e TV sulla sua testa con il rilascio del video Thriller.

Video musica pop Thriller di Jackson ha battuto record, confini e lui ascese al titolo del re del Pop vendendo oltre 9 m copie da solo. Ha generato anche la generazione di MTV, impostazione standard per un'industria per decenni a venire.

Ma il sogno visionario del superstar per trasformare un cinque minuti 12 secondi canzone pop in un breve filmato di 14 minuti quasi non è accaduto, persone chiave dietro il progetto rivelano oggi.
    HeHis etichetta discografica sentivo prima Thriller, l'album più venduto di tutti i tempi, non era abbastanza buono e poi rifiutato di finanziare il video.

Jackson, insieme al produttore Quincy Jones, ingegnere studio Bruce Swedien e Rod Temperton, ignorata una discografica, la Epic Records, a proseguire con rendendo il promo. L'etichetta non morì anche piano per liberare il Thriller come singolo.

Jackson, nel disperato tentativo di emulare il gore e la commedia del 1981 ha colpito un lupo mannaro americano a Londra, ingaggiato il regista John Landis e sono andato sul canale cavo allora neonata MTV, esortandoli a investire nel progetto.

Dirigenti coraggiosi alla stazione amato l'idea, ma non potevano permettersi la fattura di $500.000 di Michael per il video.

Ma il suo capo Bob Pitman, sotto il fuoco per non giocare abbastanza artisti neri, prodotto TV 'Facendo del Thriller' speciale, che poi ha venduto in tutto il mondo per finanziare la produzione su larga scala.
    e stratagemmi di marketing di Michael portano ad una rivoluzione globale della scena musicale, con tutte le etichette, chiedendo che loro atti fare video a vendere le loro melodie.

Ma nel 1982, appena un anno prima del successo, Jackson Thriller CD sembrava essere pronto per i cestini di affare presso i negozi di dischi.

Leggendario produttore Quincy chiamato Swedien e Temperton, che aveva scritto molto del precedente album di Jackson dal muro, per fare qualche magia in otto settimane a Westlake Studios di Los Angeles.

Cinque volte vincitore del Grammy Bruce ha rivelato: «hanno costruito lo studio soprattutto per Michael e per noi, e l'abbiamo fatto in appena otto settimane.

' Era non stop - ci avrebbe funzionato da mezzogiorno alle prime ore ogni giorno. Michael è stato dedicato, non c'era e nessuno che ha lavorato come lui, che era buono per noi.
    ' Prima sessioni egli sarebbe in anticipo riscaldamento la sua voce con vocal coach. Egli si sforzava di essere il migliore e aveva un etica del lavoro come nessun altro. Egli scrisse le canzoni, testi e li.

«Ma sapevamo quello che stavamo dopo e che doveva mostrare Michael.

«Non sapevamo se sarebbe stato un successo, perché non si sa mai ciò che il pubblico desiderio e cosa accadra '.»

Scrittore inglese Temperton, che era negli anni ' 70 disco agire Heatwave, scritto 40 canzoni e li ha presentato a Michael, Bruce e Quincy.

Bruce ha detto: ' Michael era un perfezionista e ha detto che voglio a questo album 100 milioni. E ' stato positivo che questo sarebbe migliore e più grande di Off the Wall.

'Ma la pressione stava costruendo e la casa discografica era preoccupata come volevano per Natale'.

Dopo otto settimane in studio, Michael toccato il fondo come capi record impressionati devastato l'album durante il loro primo gioco indietro.

Bruce, 79, ha detto: «è stato un disastro. Ho detto ai ragazzi che era troppo lungo. Ci sono state ascoltando e visto che i padroni non erano felici. Andavano noci sopra esso, quando abbiamo giocato.

' A 28 minuti per un lato era troppo lungo per un disco di vinile, che era il mezzo primario di rilascio. In un angolo del mio occhio ho notato Michael scivolare fuori dalla sala di controllo.

«Ho pensato "oh sh * * quello che sta succedendo ora" e io lo seguii. Michael era in un angolo singhiozzando e dicendo che il suono non era giusto. Egli è stato devastato. Gli ho detto: "Michael, noi abbiamo avuto modo di renderlo più corto". Tutti importasse di Michael era risultati - nient'altro contava.
    ' Abbiamo supplicato con la casa discografica per ottenere due ulteriori settimane. Era tremenda pressione come abbiamo non solo remix esso giù, abbiamo iniziato da zero e modificato, orchestrata, registrato canzoni nuove e ri-fatto l'intero album in due settimane. Abbiamo preso anche tre canzoni, che sarebbe hits oggi, perché Michael non ha mai scritto una canzone cattiva.

' Thriller è solo secondo al mio matrimonio in termini di energia, devozione e commozione ho messo in qualcosa. Michael è stato lo stesso.'

Dopo si precipitarono attraverso la versione remixata, boss amato la versione più breve.

L'album è stato finalmente rilasciato il 30 novembre 1982, con forti vendite precoce del CD, poi successivamente rafforzato dal rilascio di singoli Billie Jean e Beat It.

Tuttavia, vendite di Jackson è andato in overdrive dopo ha debuttato il moonwalk su TV davanti a 47 milioni di spettatori al concerto Motown 25 ° anniversario nel marzo 1983.
    Bruce ha detto: ' Michael usato sempre a ballare in studio quindi si sapeva circa i suoi movimenti, ma non ha mai aspettato che la reazione. E ' stato un nuovo passo per lui ed essendo un perfezionista che prestazioni rimodellato il modo il mondo visto Michael e intrattenimento di musica di schiocco.

'Fred Astaire aveva ragione quando diceva che Michael era il più grande ballerino del secolo'.
    Come Jackson si muove a travi intorno i dirigenti epico mondo erano felici che l'album a vendere fortemente.

Ma ha voluto spingere la busta con la consegna di qualcosa che il mondo non aveva mai visto - un film di musica per un singolo pop.

Bruce ha continuato: ' Michael sempre voluto fare film davvero così come registrare record. Michael ha voluto fare un video che è stata una storia completa, come un mini-film... e questo è quello che ha fatto. Thriller è stato il veicolo perfetto per questo.'

Epic non ha condiviso i suoi sogni. Felice con le vendite e successo e costosa promozione di video di Billie Jean e Beat It, che si rifiutò di dargli il denaro per finanziare il progetto.

e iHe si rivolse a MTV ts boss Bob Pittnam, ora presidente di Clear Channel Communications. Ha spiegato: ' la casa discografica pagati per Billie Jean e Beat It, ma essi non pagherebbe per Thriller e l'unico modo che si sarebbe fatto è se abbiamo pagato per questo.

' Ma sarebbe stato un precedente terribile per noi di cominciare a pagare per la produzione. Quindi quello che abbiamo fatto era pagare per fare del Thriller, che venduto e il denaro è stato poi utilizzato per pagare Thriller.

' Tecnicamente non paghiamo per la produzione del video, ma i soldi che abbiamo dato è stato usato per il video e che era il modo per poter essere realizzato. Siamo stati abituati a quello che Michael potrebbe fare, ma egli si spense.

' Che era un livello che non avevamo mai visto su un video di musica prima ed era il livello del dramma associato alla canzone. Era il video che noi non potevamo aspettare per mostrare a tutti.

' E ' stato selvaggiamente divertente e Michael Jackson al suo meglio.'

Michael aveva sfruttato da Landis, famosa per i successi come The Blues Brothers e Trading Places, per sorvegliare il film del regista di Hollywood.

Bruce è stato chiesto di estendere i cinque minuti nell'album di nove minuti per accompagnare le mosse di danza.
    Pittnam ha continuato: ' Michael amato lupo mannaro americano a Londra, ma ha voluto mischiare generi pop e pellicola per fare qualcosa di più elaborato. Diceva sempre "Dev'essere il migliore".

«Michael ha registrato la voce nel buio per Thriller, che è abbastanza spaventoso. La musica è l'unica vera magia nella vita. Ho usato troppo la sua visione.

' In seguito, Michael e Quincy appena mi ha lasciato per un paio di giorni ottenere il lavoro fatto. Essi mi ha lasciato ai miei propri dispositivi per giorni con una nota sulla console dicendo "Chiama quando dovremmo tornare" con alcune immagini disegnate da Michael.

' Siamo stati truffatori, con Michael cercando di cambiare il modo mondo pensato di musica. Era un concetto nuovo e l'etichetta discografica e gli altri non capiva cosa stavamo facendo.

' Case discografiche non sanno il loro culo da loro gomiti. Ma abbiamo appena ha preso la palla e corse con esso.

«Non sapevamo che stava per trasformare in questo capolavoro di terra di rottura. Non abbiamo avuto tempo per ottenere emotivo su di esso, stavamo lavorando sodo, come meccanica che masquerading come musicisti.
    «Michael ha fatto un video che ha appena detto il mondo - questo è quello che dovrebbe sembra un video musicale. E mai è stato migliorato.'

Dopo mesi di offerte, facendo di Thriller è stato rilasciato e poi Epic sostenuto il rilascio e la promozione del Thriller come un vinile singolo e video.

Per settimane è stato il più giocato video sul canale del mondo.

Pittnam aggiunto: «abbiamo voluto incoraggiare questo pacchetto totale. Quando questo è venuto era come, oh mio Dio, Michael aveva mosse che nessuno ha visto e ha avuto un senso innato di come giocare per la fotocamera.

' E poi questo video tradotto per il business di concerto come quello è quando iniziato a vedere le grandi produzioni venendo in contrasto con un paio di ragazzi e una chitarra levarsi in piedi su un palco con un riflettore su di loro.

«Tutto è iniziato con Michael Jackson. Ecco perché gli artisti da Beyonce a Justin Timberlake per boy band hanno ballerini appoggio dietro di loro. È stato responsabile di molte delle immagini che vedete oggi ai concerti.

' Che è stato uno dei più grandi doni ci stavamo consegnati. Fu un modello per che tipo di performer si dovrebbe essere in epoca post MTV.'
    Bruce si mise a ridere: ' non risultasse troppo male. Thriller non è un record negativo e ha fatto un po' di soldi. L'industria musicale non è mai stato lo stesso dal momento che è venuto fuori.

' Thriller ci ha permesso di allontanarsi facendo record per fare musica. E ' cambiato broadcasting, video, artisti e la forma dell'intrattenimento.'

Dalla sua uscita Thriller - album - ha venduto oltre 62 milioni di copie e il video ha generato oltre $300 m da solo.

Bruce ha detto orgoglioso: ' ovunque vado in tutto il mondo mi chiedono su Michael. L'interesse è fenomenale.

'Era un'una tantum, qualcuno che io sono orgoglioso di avere chiamato un amico e un artista artisti del calibro di cui non si vedrà mai più'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...early-made.html

Edited by two4mj - 2/12/2013, 15:21

0 replies since 2/12/2013, 14:57   79 views