« Older   Newer »

1.     Top   -1

This is it

Group
    Administrator

Status

Emmanuel Valdez: As MJ became one of the protagonists in a video game

cover

On the day of his memorial at Staples Center, I thought it would fitting to pay tribute to the one and only Michael Jackson. I was fortunate to work with Michael on a videogame called Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 for the PS2 and Sega Dreamcast back in 2000.

In October 1999, Midway published Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, a comical, arcade-style boxing game for the launch of the Sega Dreamcast. The game was an instant smash hit that resonated with hardcore fighting gamers and boxing enthusiasts alike featuring characters that had expressive, over-the-top personalities and a unique, hyper-realisitic visual style.
    Several weeks after the release of R2R Boxing, the team received a call from a fan who enjoyed the game so much that he wanted to be in it.

That fan was Michael Jackson.

Now, like any rational person, I was excited to hear that a celebrity enjoyed playing a game that I’d worked on, let alone that he wanted to participate in the making of the sequel. But at the same time I was skeptical that the celebrity was the one and only “King of Pop,” and one of the most recognizable and famous celebrites on the planet!

All skepticism were put aside when we visited MJ at Neverland Ranch a few weeks later. That was where I met MJ for the first time. He talked about the fun he had with the first game and how much he wanted to be in the sequel. He refused to be paid for his participation and wanted to follow the process of making him into a boxer/fighter. This wasn’t the first time he was in a videogame of course, but it would be the first time he was transformed into a 3D videogame character. It was possible to now use a more lifelike likeness, motion capture his dance moves, and use his voice.

Michael was a gamer. He collected arcade games and had a building at Neverland Ranch that was a dedicated arcade, all on free play :) . He had classic 80’s uprights and sitdowns, special editions and customized cabinets, and even the latest ones. I even played his own classic arcade game, Moonwalker! MJ challenged me in Dance Dance Revolution, but I respectfully declined. He also had every known videogame console, most attached to the original in-store kiosk display. We spent hours taking about our favorite videogame experiences.

Over the next year, we worked on R2R Boxing: Round 2. As promised, we communicated with MJ closely on the process. I would be talking to MJ almost weekly and over time we became very good friends. Eventually, MJ came down to our development studio in San Diego. We closed off the studio and spent an entire day with him, recording dialogue in our recording studio, photographing him in costume for texture maps for our 3D character model, and capturing his full-body performance using motion capture. He was the consummate professional, that needed little direction, and performed with a tremendous passion to entertain and dazzle. It was a special day for the development team to have worked with a legend.

r2rr2_b2_790screen003

My most cherished experience that day was having to direct him in the motion capture shoot. I spent weeks hand drawing storyboard sequences that illustrated the kind of dance moves and motion performances we needed to bring his character to life for the videogame. I presented a binder full of these storyboards just before we began the shoot. He looked at it for a few seconds, closed the book and proceed to tell me that he wanted me to direct him by performing the moves myself. That moment I was overwhelmed with fear that I had to “demonstrate” dance moves to Michael Jackson and dread that the supposed “closed-off” set was packed with nearly the entire staff that worked at our studio that wanted to witness the master performer (MJ, of course) at work.

I remember walking up to him on the stage floor, closing my eyes, and executing the world’s slowest version of some of MJ’s most famous dance moves throughout his career in one, ten second dance performance. To my relief, he proceeded to replicate my moves, in the most amazing and beautiful ten seconds I ever witnessed on a motion capture stage. Imagine a videogame designer choreographing and directing the world’s greatest dancer!

Video
    When we released the game, the team and our families celebrated with a trip to Neverland Ranch. Over the next few years after the release of the game, I remained in close contact with Michael. I spent endless hours talking about our favorite games and even occasionally the work his was doing on the album he was working at the time, Invincible. He called my family regularly to give us holiday greetings and birthday wishes. My wife and I were given premium floor seating to see him in his tribute concert at Madison Square Garden back in 2001. Those were some of the most surreal and magical moments of my life.
    Since then our relationship drifted apart. We hadn’t spoken to each other since 2001. Over the past couple of months I have been trying to reach him to wish him luck on his concert tour and just catch up with our lives. I really wanted to show him the work we did on FaceFighter and felt that he would have genuinely enjoyed playing the game as much as he did with Ready 2 Rumble Boxing games. So it was a real shock to me when he died, especially with the fact that I was trying to make contact recently. I was saddened with his death and have been mourning his passing everyday since the day he died by listening to his music and watching the countless hours of television coverage. Like a lot of fans out there, I too wanted to see him make a triumphant return.

My condolences go out to the Jackson family, his children, his closest friends, and the fans. Michael was an unbelievable talent and a kind hearted good friend that I will personally miss dearly. His legacy will live on through his music, charitable acts, his games, and memories with people like myself who can share personal and unforgettable stories of friendship.

mjandme3

www.appygamesblog.com/2009/07/07/mj/

2.     Top   -1

This is it

Group
    Administrator

Status

Emmanuel Valdez: Come Michael jackson è diventato uno dei protagonisti di un Videogioco

coverpda

Il giorno del suo memorial allo Staples Center, ho pensato che fosse opportuno rendere omaggio all'unico e solo Michael Jackson. Ho avuto la fortuna di lavorare con Michael su un videogioco chiamato "Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2" per PS2 e Sega Dreamcast nel 2000.

Nell'ottobre 1999 la Midway pubblicò "Ready 2 Rumble Boxing" un gioco di boxe comico in stile arcade per il lancio del Sega Dreamcast. Il gioco è stato un grande successo immediato, che è piaciuto allo stesso modo a giocatori hardcore e agli appassionati di combattimenti di boxe, con personaggi che avevano personalità espressive ed esagerate e un unico, iperrealistico stile visivo.
    Diverse settimane dopo l'uscita di R2R Boxing, il team ha ricevuto una chiamata da un fan che aveva apprezzato il gioco così tanto che voleva esserci dentro.

Quel fan era Michael Jackson.

Ora, come ogni persona razionale, ero entusiasta di sentire che una celebrità si divertisse a giocare con un gioco a cui avevo lavorato, e ancor di più che volesse partecipare alla realizzazione del sequel. Ma al tempo stesso ero scettico che la celebrità fosse l'unico e solo "Re del Pop" e una delle celebrità più riconoscibili e famose del pianeta!

Tutto lo scetticismo fu messo da parte quando andammo a trovare MJ al Neverland Ranch poche settimane dopo. Fu lì che incontrai MJ per la prima volta. Parlò di quanto si era divertito con il primo gioco e quanto voleva essere nel sequel. Rifiutò di essere pagato per la sua partecipazione e volle seguire il processo che lo faceva diventare un pugile/wresler. Questa non era la prima volta in cui lui era in un videogioco, naturalmente, ma sarebbe stata la prima volta in cui si sarebbe trasformato in un personaggio dei videogiochi 3D. E' stato possibile utilizzare ora una somiglianza più realistica, catturare (con il motion capture, ndt) le sue mosse di danza, e usare la sua voce.

Michael era un appassionato di videogames. Collezionava giochi arcade e aveva un edificio a Neverland Ranch che era una sala giochi dedicata, dove si giocava gratuitamente. Aveva le macchine classiche degli anni 80 in cui si stava in piedi o seduti, edizioni speciali e console su misura, e anche le più recenti. Ho anche giocato con il suo gioco arcade classico, Moonwalker! MJ mi ha sfidato a "Dance Dance Revolution", ma io ho rispettosamente declinato. Aveva anche qualsiasi console per videogiochi conosciuta, la maggior parte collegate allo schermo originale tipo chiosco. Abbiamo passato ore a parlare delle nostre esperienze di gioco preferite.
    Nell'anno successivo abbiamo lavorato su "R2R Boxing: Round 2". Come promesso, abbiamo comunicato con MJ da vicino per tutto il processo. Parlavo con MJ quasi ogni settimana e col tempo siamo diventati buoni amici. Alla fine MJ è venuto al nostro studio di sviluppo, a San Diego. Abbiamo chiuso lo studio e trascorso un'intera giornata con lui, registrando il dialogo nel nostro studio di registrazione, fotografandolo con il costume per la struttura del nostro modello del personaggio in 3D, e catturando la sua performance utilizzando il motion capture. Era il professionista consumato che aveva bisogno di poca direzione, e si è esibito con una passione enorme per intrattenere e stupire. E' stato un giorno speciale per il team di sviluppo aver lavorato con una leggenda.

r2rr2b2790screen003

L'esperienza di quel giorno a cui tengo di più è stato doverlo dirigere per le riprese di motion capture. Ho passato settimane a disegnare a mano lo storyboard delle sequenze che illustra il tipo di passi di danza e le performance di movimento di cui avevamo bisogno per portare il suo personaggio in vita per il videogioco. Ho presentato un raccoglitore pieno di questi storyboard poco prima che iniziassimo le riprese. Lui l'ha guardato per qualche secondo, ha chiuso il raccoglitore e mi ha detto che voleva che lo dirigessi eseguendo le mosse io stesso. In quel momento ero sopraffatto dalla paura di dover "mostrare" i passi di danza a Michael Jackson e terrorizzato dal fatto che il presunto set "chiuso" era gremito da quasi tutto lo staff che lavorava presso il nostro studio che voleva vedere l'interprete principale (MJ, ovviamente) al lavoro.

Mi ricordo di aver camminato fino a lui sul palco, chiudendo gli occhi, ed eseguito la versione più lenta del mondo di alcuni dei passi più famosi di tutta la carriera di MJ in una volta, dieci secondi di performance. Con mio grande sollievo, ha replicato i miei movimenti, nei dieci secondi più sorprendenti e bellissimi a cui abbia mai assistito su un palco di motion capture. Immaginate un designer di videogiochi che coreografa e dirige il più grande ballerino del mondo!

Video
    Quando abbiamo pubblicato il gioco, noi del team e le nostre famiglie abbiamo festeggiato con un viaggio a Neverland Ranch. Nel corso dell'anno successivo all'uscita del gioco sono rimasto in stretto contatto con Michael. Abbiamo passato ore e ore a parlare dei nostri giochi preferiti e anche occasionalmente del lavoro che stava facendo sull'album a cui stava lavorando al momento, "Invincible". Chiamava la mia famiglia regolarmente per salutarci per le feste e farci gli auguri di compleanno. A me e a mia moglie furono dati posti a sedere davnti al palco per vederlo nel suo concerto tributo al Madison Square Garden nel 2001. Quelli sono stati alcuni dei momenti più surreali e magici della mia vita.

r2rr2b2790screen020

Da allora le nostre strade si sono separate. Non ci ho più parlato dal 2001. Negli ultimi due mesi ho cercato di raggiungerlo per augurargli buona fortuna per il suo tour di concerti e magari rivedersi. Volevo davvero fargli vedere il lavoro che abbiamo fatto su "FaceFighter" e sentivo che si sarebbe divertito a giocare al gioco tanto quanto aveva fatto con i giochi "Ready 2 Rumble Boxing". E' stato un vero shock per me quando è morto, in particolare per il fatto che stavo cercando di contattarlo di recente. Sono stato rattristato e ho pianto la sua morte tutti i giorni, ascoltando la sua musica e guardando le innumerevoli ore di copertura televisiva. Come un sacco di fan là fuori, anch'io avrei voluto vederlo fare un ritorno trionfale.

Le mie condoglianze vanno alla famiglia Jackson, ai suoi figli, ai suoi amici più stretti e ai fans. Michael era un talento incredibile e un amico gentile e dal cuore buono che a me personalmente manca tanto. La sua eredità continuerà a vivere attraverso la sua musica, gli atti di beneficenza, i suoi giochi e i ricordi di persone come me che possono condividere storie personali e indimenticabili di amicizia.

mjandme3

Traduzione 4everMJJ MJFS

1 replies since 14/10/2013, 16:42   203 views