'I was besotted with Michael Jackson,’ admits Thriller Live star Cleo

« Older   Newer »

1. two4mj
        Top   -1

User deleted

'I was besotted with Michael Jackson,’ admits Thriller Live star Cleo

From a young age, Cleo Higgins was obsessed with Michael Jackson. Now she’s honouring him every night in a stage show which is heading to Cardiff. Karen Price speaks to the Thriller Live star before she heads to Wales

Cleo Higgins is heading to Wales with Thriller Live

Cleo Higgins admits she cried for a whole year after Michael Jackson died. “I can’t remember where I was when I heard about it but I was shattered,” she says.

“I thought it was a joke and then I put the news on the TV. I sat down and couldn’t move for an hour. I must have cried the whole day and I cried a little bit every day for a year. I felt like Michael was a part of me.”

Now the young woman who grew up idolising the star is paying tribute to him in touring theatre show Thriller Live, which is in Cardiff next week.

“He was someone I aspired to be,” says Cleo, who along with her two sisters was a member of teen band Cleopatra which was signed to Madonna’s label Maverick and had three Top 10 hits.

“His songs touched me so much. He was like a teacher to me. I sometimes sound like him as our diction is very similar – I’ve taken it from him without realising it.”

The 31-year-old’s earliest memories of the Thriller star include watching his Moonwalker film in the cinema.

“I was really small, maybe about six, but I was besotted.”

Now she gets to perform some of his greatest hits night after night as part of the tour which is direct from the West End.

Already seen by more than two million people in around 25 countries, Thriller Live brings to life the sensational dancing and distinctive sound of Michael Jackson and pays homage to the spectacle of his legendary live performances.

A scene from Thriller Live

The show was conceived and created by Adrian Grant, a long time associate of Michael Jackson, and author of Michael Jackson – The Visual Documentary.

It’s not a musical with set songs, but is a constantly evolving concert celebration. It features high-energy dancing and the pulsating sound of many of his greatest hits as well as eye-popping video footage and effects.

The show has regularly been updated since it opened, with additional songs, new visuals and choreography.

All the greatest hits are performed by the professional singers like Cleo and a live band, and include I Want You Back, ABC, Can You Feel It, Off The Wall, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal and Billie Jean.

So which is Cleo’s favourite?

“Keep The Faith from the Dangerous album,” she tells me instantly, before quickly adding, “She’s Driving Me Wild, Remember The Time, Earth Song, Stranger In Moscow. It’s so hard to think when you have so many favourites. It’s a shame we can’t fit them all in.”

Following her success with Cleopatra during the ’90s, Cleo, a mother of two, disappeared from the music scene.

“We took a break and it didn’t end,” she says simply.

She went to college where she took a cookery course and had dreams of opening a patisserie.

“I missed my GCSEs as I was on the road with Cleopatra so I went back to college as an adult to get my qualifications.”

But she got distracted by the industry once again when she applied to be on the second series of BBC’s The Voice – and made it through to the semi final.

All of the coaches wanted her to be on their team but she eventually chose to join Will.i.am and his other singers.

“The Voice was a great platform for me,” she says. “But I had a panic attack in rehearsals – it was the first one I’d ever had. I just freaked out. I shut down and couldn’t breathe. But as soon as the music came on, I was fine.”

She pleased she chose Black Eyed Peas star Will.i.am as her mentor.

“We’re from similar backgrounds – we both come from pop bands that were known internationally. He’s an amazing producer and writer. I thought that if I could show him what I’m about we could work together. We have the best relationship – he’s like family.

“He says he’ll work with me in the future so we’ll see if that happens.”

But in the meantime, she’s firmly focusing on another legendary pop star – Michael Jackson.

“Someone’s got to keep his name alive and body of work alive and that’s the magnificent thing about this show.”

TRADUZIONE:

'Ero infatuata con Michael Jackson,' ammette Thriller Live star Cleo

Da un'età giovane, Cleo Higgins era ossessionata da Michael Jackson. Ora lei è onorare lui ogni notte in una fase che si sta dirigendo verso Cardiff. Karen Price parla al Thriller Live star prima che si dirige in Galles

Cleo Higgins ammette che ha pianto per un anno intero dopo la morte di Michael Jackson. "Non mi ricordo dov'ero quando sentito parlare, ma ero sconvolta," dice lei.

"Ho pensato che fosse uno scherzo e poi ho messo le notizie sulla TV. Mi sedetti e non poteva muoversi per un'ora. Devo avere ha pianto tutto il giorno e ho pianto un po ' ogni giorno per un anno. Sentivo che Michael era una parte di me."

Ora la donna giovane che è cresciuto di idolising la stella è omaggio a lui nel tour spettacolo Teatro Thriller Live, che è a Cardiff la prossima settimana.

"E ' stato qualcuno aspirava ad essere," dice Cleo, che insieme a due sorelle era un membro della band teen Cleopatra, che è stato firmato all'etichetta di Madonna Maverick e aveva tre Top 10 hits.

"Le sue canzoni tanto mi ha toccato. Egli era come un insegnante per me. Io a volte suonare come lui nostra dizione è molto simile – che ho preso da lui senza rendersene conto."

Primi ricordi del 31 anni della stella Thriller includono guardando il suo film Moonwalker nel cinema.

"Ero davvero piccolo, forse circa sei, ma ero infatuato."

Ora si alza eseguire alcuni dei suoi più grandi successi di notte come parte del tour che è diretta dal West End.

Già visto da più di 2 milioni di persone in circa 25 paesi, Thriller Live porta alla vita il sensazionale ballando e il suono distintivo di Michael Jackson e un omaggio per lo spettacolo della sua leggendaria performance dal vivo.
    Lo spettacolo è stato ideato e creato da Adrian Grant, un collaboratore di Michael Jackson e autore di Michael Jackson – The Visual Documentary.

Non è un musical con canzoni insieme, ma è una celebrazione di concerto in continua evoluzione. È dotato di alta energia ballando e il suono palpitazione di molti dei suoi più grandi successi come eye-popping riprese video ed effetti.

Lo spettacolo è stato aggiornato regolarmente da quando ha aperto, con canzoni aggiuntive, nuovi effetti visivi e coreografia.

Tutti i più grandi successi sono eseguiti dai cantanti professionisti come Cleo e una band dal vivo e includono I Want You Back, ABC, Can si sentono It, Off The Wall, il modo You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal e Billie Jean.

Così che è Cleo s preferiti?

"Keep The Faith dall'album pericoloso," mi dice immediatamente, prima di aggiungere rapidamente, "lei mi sta facendo selvaggio, ricorda il tempo, Earth Song, estraneo In Mosca. È così difficile pensare quando hai tanti favoriti. È un peccato che noi non possiamo farli stare tutto dentro. "

Dopo il suo successo con Cleopatra durante gli anni ' 90, Cleo, una madre di due, scomparve dalla scena musicale.

"Abbiamo preso una pausa e non ha fine", dice semplicemente.

Andò al college, dove ha preso un corso di cucina e avuto sogni di aprire una pasticceria.

"Ho perso la mia GCSEs com'ero sulla strada con Cleopatra, così sono tornato al college come un adulto per ottenere le mie qualifiche."

Ma lei ha distratto dall'industria ancora una volta, quando ha fatto domanda per essere sulla seconda serie della BBC The Voice – e reso attraverso la semi finale.

Tutti gli allenatori la voleva essere sulla loro squadra, ma alla fine scelse di unirsi Will.i.am e altri suoi cantanti.

"La voce era una grande piattaforma per me", dice lei. "Ma ho avuto un attacco di panico durante le prove – era quella prima che avessi mai avuto. Appena fuori di testa. Chiuso e non riusciva a respirare. Ma non appena la musica è venuto, stavo bene."

Lei contento lei ha scelto Black Eyed Peas stelle Will.i.am come suo mentore.

"Siamo da contesti simili – veniamo entrambi da pop band che erano noti a livello internazionale. Egli è un incredibile scrittore e produttore. Ho pensato che se potuto mostrargli cosa sto circa si potrebbe lavorare insieme. Abbiamo il miglior rapporto-egli è come una famiglia.

"Egli dice che egli lavorerà con me in futuro quindi vedremo se ciò accade".

Ma nel frattempo, lei è fermamente concentrandosi su un'altra popstar leggendario – Michael Jackson.

"Qualcuno ha avuto modo di mantenere il suo nome vivo e corpo di lavoro vivo e che è la cosa magnifica di questo spettacolo".

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/thea...jackson-6137746

0 replies since 4/10/2013, 12:05   76 views