The origins of "Whatever Happens"

« Older   Newer »

1.     Top   -1

This is it

Group
    Administrator

Status

The origins of "Whatever Happens"

Whatever happens The song remains one of the favorite songs of Michael Jackson fans for the album Invincible. You can read in the credits of this title: Michael Jackson, Teddy Riley, Gil Cang, J. Quay and Geoffrey Williams. Produced by Michael Jackson and Teddy Riley Santana Guitar, Background Vocals Michael Jackson, the voice of additional funds Mario Vasquez and Mary Brown, the orchestra arrangements Jeremy Lubbock solo Carlos Santana and Stuart Brawley.

You can hear a demo version of this title Gil Cang and Geoffrey Williams on You Tube and find below the exclusive interview with Gil Cang discounted BOS:

MN0059576

BOS: Hello Gil, you are the creator of the song "Whatever Happens, can you tell us the story of this track appearing on Michael Jackson's album Invincible released by Epic / Sony Music in 2001?

Gil Cang: Geoffrey and I wrote the song in my "studio room" in 1999...

BOS: Did you write "Whatever happens" especially for Michael Jackson?

Gil Cang: The song was first offered to artist Mario Vasquez (who was signed to Atlantic and later featured in "American Idol" performing "Whatever Happens" at the audition). He recorded the song, but it was never released.

BOS: What happened next?

Gil Cang: Mario Vasquez went to Teddy Riley's lawyer to see if Teddy would be interested in producing him. It didn't work out, but Teddy thought the song would be great for Michael. He played the song for Michael, and Michael loved it.

BOS: Did you meet Michael Jackson and Teddy Riley? Did you watch the song's evolution from your demo to the final version on Invincible?

Gil Cang: I was not in the studio, and I have not met any of them.

BOS: How was your song selected? Did you suggest any other demos to Riley, and if so, do you remember their names? Did they record any other demos or final versions?

Gil Cang: Riley didn't select anything else. They recorded this song among 200 songs they worked on for Invincible, and they kept it. An honor for me because I've always been a huge fan.

BOS: Do you know if "Whatever Happens" was planned as a single by Sony Music?

Gil Cang: Unfortunately, the song was never released as a single because the promo campaign was stopped after only 2 songs from the album. "Whatever Happens" was planned as the 4th single from Invincible. But still it is my musical dream come true.

BOS: What is this song about, and what do you think is Michael Jackson's version about?

Gil Cang: I love Michael's version. The song is about a girl who discovers that she is pregnant. People mistake the first sentence of the song, it's actually "He gives a nervous smile," not "He gives another smile." It always makes me nervous! They had it wrong in the album booklet.

BOS: Who sings and plays instruments on the demo?

Gil Cang: Geoffrey Williams sings, and I play instruments.

BOS: Who decided to invite Carlos Santana?

Gil Cang: It was their idea.

BOS: When listening to your demo and the final version on Invincible, there is no real difference in melody, text, etc. Why are Teddy Riley and Michael Jackson credited? Was it a copyright issue, as in "Give us credit, otherwise you will never see your song on the album?"

Gil: Exactly.

BOS: Gil, thank you for this short interview, "Whatever Happens" remains one of the major titles on Invincible and it is very much appreciated by the public.

Gil: Thank you.

Original source: http://mjfrance.com/actu/index.php?post/20...chanson.../1791
    English text: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/...er-Happens-quot
    ---------

Le Origini di " Whatever Happens"

La canzone " Whatever Happenes" rimane una delle canzoni preferite dai fans di Michael Jackson nell'album Invincible. Si può leggere nei credits : Michael Jackson, Teddy Riley, Gil Cang, J. Quay e Geoffrey Williams. Prodotto da Michael Jackson e Teddy Riley alla chitarra Santana , Background Vocals Michael Jackson, la voce di fondo supplementare di Mario Vasquez e Mary Brown, l'orchestra di Jeremy Lubbock ,solisti Carlos Santana e Stuart Brawley.

Qui di seguito l'intervista esclusiva a Gil Cang :

BOS: Buongiorno Gil, lei è il creatore della canzone "Whatever Happens, ci può raccontare la storia di questo titolo che compare sull'album di Michael Jackson "Invincible" uscito nel 2001 con l'etichetta Epic/Sony Music?

Gil Cang: Io e Geoffrey abbiamo scritto la canzone nella mia "sala studio" nel 1999...

BOS: Avevate scritto "Whatever Happens" per Michael Jackson in particolare?

Gil Cang: La canzone era stata proposta ad un artista di nome Mario Vasquez (che era sotto contratto con la Atlantic ed in seguito ha partecipato ad "American Idol", con questa canzone ha fatto le audizioni). Ha registrato la canzone, ma non è mai stata commercializzata.

BOS: Cosa è successo dopo?

Gil Cang: Mario Vasquez è andato dall'avvocato di Teddy Riley per vedere se era interessato a produrlo come artista. Non è andata a buon fine, ma Teddy pensava che il brano poteva essere grande per Michael. L'ha fatta sentire a Michael e lui l'ha adorata.

BOS: Ha incontrato Michael Jackson e Teddy Riley? Ha visto l'evoluzione della vostra demo che è diventata la versione finale di Invincible?

Gil Cang: Non ero in studio e non ho incontrato nessuno di loro.

BOS: Com'è stato selezionato il vostro brano? Ha suggerito altre demo al team di Riley e, se sì, ricorda il titolo? Hanno registrato altre versioni demo o definitive?

Gil Cang: Riley non ha selezionato nient'altro. Hanno registrato questa canzone fra le 200 che avevano registrato per Invincible e l'hanno tenuta. Un grande giorno per me, perché sono sempre stato un grande fan.

BOS: Sa se "Whatever Happens" era stato previsto come singolo da Sony Music?

Gil Cang: Purtroppo, la canzone non è mai stata pubblicata come singolo perché la promozione del disco è stata interrotta dopo solo 2 canzoni dall'album. "Whatever Happens" sarebbe dovuto essere il quarto singolo della campagna di promozione di "Invincible". Ma rimane la consacrazione del mio sogno musicale.

BOS: Di cosa parla questa canzone e cosa ne pensa della versione di Michael Jackson?

Gil Cang: Adoro la versione di Michael. Questa canzone parla di una ragazza che scopre di essere incinta. Le persone si sbagliano sulla prima frase della canzone. In realtà è "He gives a nervous smile" (lui fa un sorriso nervoso), non "He gives another smile" (lui fa un altro sorriso). Mi fa sempre innervosire! Il booklet dell'album è sbagliato.

BOS: Chi canta sulla demo, e chi suona gli strumenti?

Gil Cang: Geoffrey Williams canta e io suono gli strumenti.

BOS: Chi ha deciso di contattare Carlos Santana per suonare sulla canzone?

Gil Cang: E' stata una loro idea.

BOS: Ascoltando la vostra demo e la versione finale di Invincible, non c'è alcuna differenza evidente (melodia, testo, ecc.) Perché Teddy Riley e Michael Jackson sono nei crediti? E' solo una questione di diritti, tipo "Gil e Geoffrey, dateci i crediti altrimenti non vedrete mai la vostra canzone sul disco?"

Gil: Esattamente.

BOS: Gil, grazie per questa breve intervista, "Whatever Happens" rimane uno dei titoli più importanti dell'album "Invincible" ed è molto apprezzato dal pubblico.

Gil: Grazie.

Traduzione 4everMJJ MJFS

0 replies since 6/9/2013, 15:04   172 views