Michael Jackson’s death, like those of the great artists before and since, results in a greater loss

« Older   Newer »

1.     Top   -1

This is it

Group
    Administrator

Status

Michael Jackson’s death, like those of the great artists before and since, results in a greater loss for black music

06/26/2012

PHO-09Jun25-167250

By Rahiel Tesfamariam
    t’s hard to believe that so much time has passed since the world lost Michael Jackson. The “King of Pop” died three years ago Monday from an overdose of prescription drugs administered to him by his doctor, Conrad Murray, who was later found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to four years in jail.
    Every generation has its moments when a beloved public figure is taken from us. It’s a memory that often is forever etched in our memories. No matter how much time has passed, you can look back and remember exactly where you were when you got the news that made you question if things would ever be the same again. For many of us, Michael Jackson’s death was one of those game-changing moments in time.

It feels like those moments are happening more and more often, especially in the world of black music. But the real tragedy is that we’re not just losing these beloved artists. We’re also losing our culture.

In the last year alone, we’ve lost musical legends like Etta James, Don Cornelius, Donna Summer and, of course, Whitney Houston. Locally, Washingtonians mourned the loss of Chuck “Godfather of Go-Go” Brown who put the nation’s capital on the country’s cultural radar.

Look at how we try to revive the past. It returns in the form of a resurrected Tupac at Coachella, rumors of a Whitney Houston biopic, and the Jackson brothers going on a 16-city tour without their brother Michael. But it’s never the same. With each death, a piece of the public’s artistic imagination and inevitably who we are as a people passes away with it.

While not dismissing the cross-generational greatness that remains in our midst, I can’t help but be concerned for the state of black entertainment. We’re far from a cultural drought, but much of today’s music doesn’t pulsate with the same soul that eras past did.

Much of my disappointment stems from commercial hip-hop. I'm saddened that my nieces don't have an equivalent to Arrested Development rapping about brothas “disrespecting my black queen, holding their crotches and being obscene” on the urban radio stations they listen to daily. Where are the Fugees and Tribe Called Quest for the new generation? Even in the R&B realm — for every H-Town that talked about “Knockin the Boots,” there remained a Boyz II Men that sang about loving someone until the “End of the Road” or the “Water Runs Dry.” There was greater balance, and as a result, we could choose our music a la carte.

Steve Harvey drove this point home in “The Original Kings of Comedy,” when he talked about the difference between Earth, Wind and Fire asking “would you mind if I looked in your eyes till I'm hypnotized and I lose my pride?” and today’s artists asking “who shot ya?” The difference between Lenny Williams crying his way through “Cause I Love You” and today’s artists making music saturated with sex but completely devoid of love.

Much like our food, the music we consume today is engineered through very advanced technology and far from anything organic or homegrown. The commercial, synthetic production of music has gotten so bad that a mainstream artist such as Jay-Z felt the need to call for the “Death of Auto-Tune” as a critique of and challenge to individuals like T-Pain, who popularized the audio-engineering technology.

The artists aren’t the primary ones to blame for this compromise of cultural integrity. The corporate-driven industry isn’t as invested in making timeless music like EWF’s “Love’s Holiday”as it is in keeping up with consumer trends for the purpose of having mass appeal. It’s down to a formula now. Artists are required to have pop crossover in order to be sustainable — even if the culture suffers as a result. Rapper Nicki Minaj is a good example of how a formulaic sound and a sex-driven brand will prosper against all odds. Her crossover single “Starships” debuted at No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, even though it was, as the magaizine noted, “a departure in sound for the Young Money rapper”.

With that level of calculated success, what will challenge this generation of artists to pursue music with the same global vision that Michael Jackson had? The genius behind “Thriller” crossed every human boundary that divides us. Very few artists can popularize a nation’s culture in the ways in which Michael did. He had his faults (many of them), but he made America look good in the eyes of the world. And he made us, as Americans, feel good about ourselves.

This isn’t to ignore the fact that artists like Rihanna have similar global appeal. But it wasn’t just Michael’s music that was global in scope; his passion for service was as well. MJ was a servant. It’s hard to imagine contemporary artists like Rihanna and Beyonce offering the equivalent to “We Are the World” with the sincerity that Michael’s charity work had. But that may not be a statement about them as much as it is about the difference between Michael’s baby boomer generation, which lived through the civil rights and Black Power movements, versus my generation, which seemingly has a much more self-centered and materialistic strand running through it. Selfish artistry permeates our contemporary cultural landscape because so many of us have taken our freedoms for granted and don’t feel a sense of obligation to live out a life of service.

We can’t bring Michael or any of these artists who have passed back. But we can hope to live in a world where entertainers understand that being the greatest of all time is about much more than just music; it’s also about touching humanity in a way that forever changes people. In the end, how much our culture thrives will depend on how concerned we are about the welfare of our neighbor and the needs of our world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/theroo...Fnx4V_blog.html
    ------

La morte di Michael Jackson: una perdita importante nel mondo della musica nera

Di Rahiel Tesfamariam, 26.06.12

La morte di Michael Jackson, come quelle di grandi artisti prima e dopo, danno origine ad una perdita maggiore per la musica nera.

E'difficile credere che è passato così tanto tempo da quando il mondo ha perduto Michael Jackson. Il "Re del Pop" è morto un giovedì di tre anni fa per una overdose di farmaci somministratigli dal suo medico, Conrad Murray, che è stato poi riconosciuto colpevole di omicidio colposo e condannato a quattro anni di carcere.
    Ogni generazione ha i suoi momenti quando un amato personaggio pubblico ci è sottratto. E' un ricordo che spesso rimane per sempre impresso nella nostra memoria. Non importa quanto tempo è passato, puoi guardare indietro e ricordare esattamente dove eri quando hai ricevuto la notizia che ti ha fatto domandare se le cose sarebbero mai state più le stesse. Per molti di noi, la morte di Michael Jackson è stata uno di quegli “eventi nel tempo” rivoluzionari.
    Abbiamo la sensazione che questi momenti stiano avvenendo sempre più spesso, soprattutto nel mondo della musica nera. Ma la vera tragedia è che non stiamo perdendo solo questi artisti amati. Stiamo perdendo anche la nostra cultura.

Solo in questo ultimo anno, abbiamo perso leggende musicali come Etta James, Don Cornelius, Donna Summer e, naturalmente, Whitney Houston. A livello locale, la gente di Washington ha pianto la perdita di Chuck Brown "Padrino del Go-Go" (Go-go è un sottogenere della musica funk sviluppato dentro e intorno a Washington, ndt) che ha messo la capitale della nazione all'attenzione culturale del paese.

Guardate come cerchiamo di far rivivere il passato. Si restituisce Tupac a Coachella sotto forma di un resuscitato, voci di un film biografico su Whitney Houston, ed i fratelli Jackson che sono partiti per un tour in 16 città, senza il loro fratello Michael. Ma non è mai la stessa cosa. Con ogni morte, un pezzo dell’immaginazione artistica del pubblico e, inevitabilmente, di chi siamo noi come popolo, muore con esso.
    Anche se non si è accantonata l’importanza intergenerazionale che rimane in mezzo a noi, non posso fare a meno di essere preoccupata per lo stato dell’intrattenimento nero. Siamo lontani da una siccità culturale, ma gran parte della musica di oggi non pulsa con la stessa anima che ha fatto quell’epoca passata.

Gran parte della mia delusione deriva dalla commerciale hip-hop. Mi rattrista che i miei nipoti non hanno un equivalente degli “Arrested Development” mentre rimproverano i maschi neri "che disprezzano la mia regina nera, tenendosi l'inguine e diventando osceni" (da People Everyday, ndt) sulle stazioni radio urbane che ascoltano tutti i giorni. Dove sono i “Fugees” e i “Tribe Called Quest” per la nuova generazione? Perfino nel regno del R&B, per tutti gli “H-Town" quelli che parlano di "Knockin the Boots", c'è rimasto un Boyz II Men che canta di amare qualcuno fino alla "Fine della strada" (End of the Road) oppure "Water Runs Dry". C’era grande equilibrio, e di conseguenza, potevamo scegliere la nostra musica “alla carta”.

Steve Harvey ha insistito su questo punto in "The Original Kings of Comedy”, (documentario diretto da Spike Lee, ndt), quando ha parlato della differenza tra gli “Earth, Wind and Fire” che chiedevano "ti dispiace se ho guardato nei tuoi occhi, finché non mi sono ipnotizzato e ho perso il mio orgoglio?" (da Love's Holiday, ndt) e gli artisti di oggi che chiedono "Who shot ya ?" (chi ha sparato, di Notorius B.I.G., ndt). La differenza tra Lenny Williams che piange a modo suo "Cause I love you" (perché ti amo) e gli artisti di oggi che fanno musica satura di sesso, ma completamente priva di amore.

Come molto del nostro cibo, la musica che consumiamo oggi è progettata con una tecnologia molto avanzata e lontano da qualcosa di naturale o di produzione propria. La pubblicità, la produzione sintetica della musica è diventata così scarsa che un artista mainstream come Jay-Z ha sentito il bisogno di proclamare la "Death of Auto-Tune” come una critica e una sfida a persone come T-Pain, che hanno reso popolare la tecnologia “Auto-Tune”.

Gli artisti non sono alla base gli unici da biasimare per questo compromesso sull'integrità culturale. Il settore aziendale è portato a non investire nella realizzazione di musica senza tempo, come “Love’s Holiday” degli EWF, mentre è in linea con le tendenze dei consumatori al fine di avere un richiamo di massa. Dipende da una formula ora. Agli artisti è richiesto di fare del "pop crossover" al fine di essere sostenibili anche se la cultura ne soffre di conseguenza. La rapper Nicki Minaj è un buon esempio di come un suono stereotipato e un genere “sesso forzato” prosperi sfidando ogni probabilità. Il suo singolo stile crossover "Starships" ha debuttato al numero 9 della Billboard Hot 100, anche se era, come ha osservato la rivista, "un distacco nel sound per la rapper della “Young Money".

Con questo livello di successo calcolato, a cosa ricorrerà questa generazione di artisti per portare avanti la musica con la stessa visione globale che ha avuto Michael Jackson? Il genio dietro "Thriller", ha attraversato ogni confine umano che ci divide. Pochi artisti possono diffondere la cultura di una nazione nei modi in cui ha fatto Michael. Aveva i suoi difetti (molti), ma ha messo l’America in buona luce agli occhi del mondo. E ci ha fatto, come americani, stare bene con noi stessi.

Questo non significa ignorare il fatto che artisti del calibro di Rihanna hanno un simile interesse globale. Ma non era solo la musica di Michael ad essere di portata globale, lo era anche la sua passione per l’assistenza. MJ era un servitore. E'difficile immaginare artisti contemporanei come Rihanna e Beyonce che offrono l'equivalente di "We Are the World" con la sincerità che ha avuto il volontariato di Michael. Ma questo non può essere un’affermazione su di loro tanto quanta è la differenza tra la generazione del “baby boom” (anni 50-60, ndt) di Michael, che ha vissuto i diritti civili ed i movimenti del “Black Power”, contro la mia generazione, che apparentemente ha un filone molto più egocentrico e materialista che la sta attraversando. L’arte egoista permea il nostro paesaggio culturale contemporaneo perché molti di noi hanno preso le nostre libertà per scontato e non provano un senso di impegno per vivere una vita di assistenza.

Non possiamo riportare (in vita) Michael oppure uno di questi artisti che sono mancati. Ma possiamo sperare di vivere in un mondo dove le persone di spettacolo capiscono che diventare il più grande di tutti i tempi è molto più della musica; è anche toccare l'umanità in un modo che cambia per sempre le persone.

Alla fine, come nutriremo la nostra cultura dipenderà da quanto siamo interessati al benessere del nostro prossimo e dalle esigenze del nostro mondo.

Traduzione Niki64,mjj MJFS

*** Non ho trovato nei nostri archivi questo bellissimo articolo scritto lo scorso anno, in occasione della terza ricorrenza dalla scomparsa di Michael, mi è sembrato doveroso averlo qui ;)

0 replies since 3/9/2013, 20:35   78 views