Michael Jackson's mom faces cross examination in death trial

« Older   Newer »

1. two4mj
        Top   -1

User deleted

Michael Jackson's mom faces cross examination in death trial

By Alan Duke, CNN

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Michael Jackson's mother faces more questioning Monday from a lawyer for the concert promoter she's suing in her son's death.

Katherine Jackson became "confused and tired" when AEG Live lawyer Marvin Putnam asked her "some pretty complex questions very fast" during his cross examination Friday, her attorney said.

"She was trying to answer the questions the best she could," Jackson lawyer Brian Panish said. "I think maybe she lost her temper a little bit and she tried to restrain herself in a very Christian-like way."

The judge adjourned court two hours early Friday when Jackson told her she needed to rest, but she resumes her testimony in a Los Angeles courtroom Monday morning.

Katherine Jackson: 'I want to know what really happened'
    She is the lead plaintiff -- along with Michael Jackson's three children -- in a wrongful death lawsuit against AEG Live. The suit contends the agency is liable in his death because it hired, retained or supervised Dr. Conrad Murray, who is serving a prison sentence for involuntary manslaughter in the pop icon's death.

AEG Live lawyers, who will begin presenting their defense once Katherine Jackson's testimony ends, promised in opening statements 12 weeks ago to show the jury "ugly stuff" to prove that Michael Jackson was responsible for his own death.

Jackson testified that she filed the lawsuit "because I want to know what really happened to my son."

Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009, from an overdose of a surgical anesthetic administered by Murray, just two weeks before his "This It It" concerts were set to premiere at AEG's O2 Arena in London.

His mother testified that she believed her son could have completed the 50 scheduled shows concerts "if they had been spaced out."

She called AEG Live CEO Randy Phillips because she was worried that the schedule didn't give him enough rest between shows.

"I told him Michael can't do those shows, you have to change the schedule," she said. "If they spaced them out, he could have done a million shows."

Humble beginnings

Last week, jurors appeared to pay close attention, leaning forward and often smiling, as the matriarch of one of the world's most famous entertainment families recounted how she and her husband raised nine children in a tiny Gary, Indiana, home. They saw rare home videos of the Jacksons and heard songs Michael wrote for his children.

"I want the jurors to just recognize that there's people involved in this case," Panish said, explaining the significance of the mother's testimony. "We've seen a lot of testimony about numbers and e-mails, but there are people behind it all."

The testimony was perhaps more intimate and revealing than a Barbara Walters television special. As with a Walters interview, there were tears.

Katherine Jackson's family moved to East Chicago, Illinois, just three years after she was born in rural Barbour County, Alabama, in 1930, she said. She wore a brace on her left leg as a child because she suffered from polio.

Musical talent ran in her family, including a great-grandfather known as "a very good singer." She played the clarinet in the high school band.

She was 19 when she married Joe Jackson, a 21-year-old steel mill worker. The couple bought a four-room house, about the size of a garage, that was coincidentally located on Jackson Street in Gary, she said.

The two oldest girls slept on a couch in the living room, while the boys slept on bunk beds in one of the two bedrooms, she said. The closeness may have contributed to their music careers. "I would wake up to the boys harmonizing and singing," Jackson said.

The growing family lived "payday to payday," stretching the money by dressing the children in homemade clothes, getting shoes from the Salvation Army, watching newspaper ads for sales and driving into the country to pick vegetables, she said.

"I knew how to cook a potato in every way," Jackson joked, when asked if she was a good cook.

Jackson took a sales clerk job at the Sears Roebuck store in Gary just before her youngest child, Janet, came along, she said.

Young Michael was "a sweet little boy," she said, always "sensitive and loving." His mother recounted how 3-year-old Michael held Randy's hand and cried because his younger brother was sick.

His mother saw early signs of her son's talent. He would kick while in her arms when he heard music, she said. "When he started to walk, he was dancing."

Michael's earliest dancing was to the rhythm of a rusty old washing machine. "He was down there dancing while sucking the bottle to the squeaking of the washer," she said.

He would "save his pennies and nickels" to buy candy, which he used to set up a store. "He liked to play 'store man,' " she testified.

While the family had an old television set, it would often break down, she said. Her children first started singing for entertainment when there was no money to pay the TV repairman.

The brothers took their singing beyond the home by entering school talent shows. "It had got so that they won all the contests," she said. "They would see the Jacksons coming and say 'Oh, my God, they're going to win again.'"

Their mother initially named their group "The Jackson Brothers 5," but a woman who was composing an ad for an appearance shortened it to "The Jackson 5," she said.

Michael's first public performance came when he sang "Climb Every Mountain" in a school program when he was just 5, she said.

"He started singing the song, and he sang it with such clarity, not flat or anything. I sat there and cried. He got a standing ovation."

Although Jermaine was initially the lead singer, Michael got the job after his mother forced her husband to listen to him sing, she said.

Singing gigs started to pay after Motown artists Gladys Knight & the Pips and The Temptations began hiring them as opening acts whenever they were performing near Gary, she said. Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. signed the Jackson 5 to a contract, and their first four singles became No. 1 hits, she said.

The family moved to Los Angeles just as "Jackson mania" was breaking out, she said. "There were so many girls around he house I got so tired of it," she said.

Jurors saw a clip of 14-year-old Michael singing "Ben" at the Oscar Awards in 1973. "He liked that song because he liked the rats," his mother said.

She then told a story about discovering her son had a mouse in his pocket during dinner at a Beverly Hills restaurant. "I was very upset with him."

'Everything went dark'

Jackson described when she learned her son had died at the emergency room at UCLA's Ronald Reagan Medical Center.

"Everything went dark and I just started screaming," she said.

Then the children -- Prince, Paris and Blanket -- were told.

"Paris was screaming, looking up at the sky saying 'Daddy, I want to go with you, I can't live without you,' " she testified. "Paris looked at me and asked 'Grandma, where are we going?' I told her 'You're going home with grandma.' "

Paris has had "the hardest time" since her father's death, she said.

"One of my grandchildren told me that she would tell them that she wants to go where her daddy was," she said.

Now 15, Paris has been in a psychiatric facility for treatment since a suicide attempt on June 5.

Jackson lawyers punctuated their presentation with a montage of home videos of Michael Jackson with his children, using a recording of his song "Speechless." Jackson said her son wrote the song about a father's love for his children -- and the lack of words to express it -- in just 45 minutes.

"Mrs. Jackson, do you miss your son?" Panish asked her as he concluded his direct questioning

"Words can't explain," she replied.

Cross examination by AEG team

Putnam's questioning of Katherine Jackson began when he inquired whether it was her personal decision -- or someone else's -- to file the wrongful death lawsuit.

It was hers alone, she said. She did not discuss it with her husband or grandchildren.

"I've heard a lot of stories," she said. The trial may bring her answers, she hoped.

"I want to know the truth, what happened to him," she said.

Jackson appeared upset, complaining about the suggestions by an AEG Live lawyer last week that her son was broke when he died.

"Because he gave it to charity," she said. "It hurts to sit here and listen to all those things."

She complained to Putnam that AEG Live executives did not call "an outside doctor" to help her son after show director Kenny Ortega told them he needed urgent help in his last days.

"My son needed another doctor, not Dr. Murray," she said.

Jackson then recalled an e-mail written by a top AEG executive referring to Michael Jackson as "the freak" just hours before their company signed the pop icon to a huge concert deal.

"They called him a freak," she said. "They were making fun of him -- 'Finally get a chance to meet the freak.' "

"My son is dead," she said. "He's not here to talk for himself."

Dr. Conrad Murray testimony?

The doctor who was convicted in Jackson's death is "following the trial closely" from the jail where he is serving a four-year sentence, his lawyer, Valerie Wass, said Friday. She was in the courtroom to hear Jackson's testimony.

She surprised reporters afterward by hinting that Murray may be willing to testify in the trial, despite earlier signing a statement saying he would not since his appeal is still pending.

"It's been his intention all along to assert his Fifth Amendment privilege, but it's something we're re-evaluating on a daily basis, and it's possible he might want to testify," Wass said. He might "be willing to testify about certain aspects of the case."

AEG Live's defense team told the judge last week they have no intention of calling the doctor as a witness. Jackson's lead lawyer said Friday he's not "sure Conrad Murray is going to add much."

"I don't see how he could be incriminated by telling the truth at this point," Wass said. "We're considering it. We're both discussing the issue."

Traduzione:

Mamma di Michael Jackson si affaccia esame incrociato nel processo di morte

Los Angeles (CNN) - volti di madre di Michael Jackson più in discussione lunedì da un avvocato per il promotore di concerto che lei ha citato in giudizio nella morte di suo figlio.

Katherine Jackson è diventato "confuso e stanco" quando AEG Live avvocato Marvin Putnam chiesto lei "alcune domande piuttosto complesse molto veloce" durante il suo esame incrociato venerdì, ha detto il suo avvocato.
    "Stava cercando di rispondere alle domande il meglio che poteva," avvocato di Jackson Brian Panish ha detto. "Penso che forse ha perso il suo carattere un po ' e ha cercato di trattenere a se stessa in modo molto simile a Christian."

Il giudice aggiornò Corte due ore primi venerdì quando Jackson disse aveva bisogno di riposare, ma lei riprende la sua testimonianza in un tribunale di Los Angeles lunedì mattina.

Katherine Jackson: 'voglio sapere cosa è successo realmente'
    Lei è l'attore protagonista - insieme a tre figli di Michael Jackson - in una causa per omicidio colposo contro AEG Live. La tuta sostiene che l'agenzia è responsabile nella morte perché essa assunto, mantenute o supervisionato il dottor Conrad Murray, che sta scontando una pena detentiva per omicidio involontario nella morte dell'icona pop.

Avvocati AEG Live, che inizieranno a presentare la loro difesa una volta testimonianza di Katherine Jackson finisce, promesso in dichiarazioni di apertura 12 settimane fa per mostrare la giuria "brutte cose" per dimostrare che Michael Jackson era responsabile della sua morte.

Jackson ha testimoniato che ha archiviato la querela "perché"voglio sapere che cosa realmente è accaduto a mio figlio.

Michael Jackson è morto il 25 giugno 2009, da un'overdose di un anestetico chirurgico amministrato da Murray, appena due settimane prima di suoi concerti "This It It" sono stati fissati alla premiere di AEG O2 Arena di Londra.

Sua madre ha testimoniato che credeva che suo figlio potrebbe aver completato i 50 spettacoli programmati concerti "se essi erano stati spaced out."

Lei chiama AEG Live CEO Randy Phillips, perché era preoccupato che la pianificazione non dargli abbastanza resto tra spettacoli.

"Gli ho detto che Michael non può fare questi spettacoli, devi modificare la pianificazione," ha detto. "Se sono spaziati fuori, egli avrebbe potuto fare 1 milione spettacoli."

Umili origini

La settimana scorsa, i giurati apparvero a prestare attenzione, sporgendosi in avanti e spesso sorridente, come la matriarca di una delle più famose famiglie di intrattenimento del mondo raccontato come lei e suo marito generato nove bambini in una piccola casa di Gary, Indiana. Videro rara home video di the Jacksons e sentito canzoni che Michael ha scritto per i suoi figli.

"Voglio che i giurati solo riconoscere che c'è gente coinvolta in questo caso," Panish ha detto, spiegando il significato della testimonianza della madre. "Abbiamo visto un sacco di testimonianza sui numeri e le e-mail, ma ci sono persone dietro tutto."

La testimonianza è stata forse più intimo e rivelatore di uno speciale televisivo di Barbara Walters. Come con un'intervista di Walters, c'erano lacrime.

Famiglia di Katherine Jackson si trasferì a East Chicago, Illinois, appena tre anni dopo è nata nella Contea di Barbour, Alabama rurale, nel 1930, ha detto. Indossava una doppietta sulla sua gamba sinistra come un bambino perché ha sofferto dalla polio.

Talento musicale ha funzionato nella sua famiglia, compreso un bisnonno, conosciuto come "un cantante molto buona." Lei suonava il clarinetto nella banda della high school.

Lei era 19, quando si è sposata con Joe Jackson, un operaio di acciaieria 21-anno-vecchio. La coppia comprò una casa a quattro camere, circa le dimensioni di un garage, che si trovava casualmente in Jackson Street a Gary, ha detto.

Le due ragazze più antiche ha dormito su un divano in salotto, mentre i ragazzi dormivano su letti a castello in una delle due camere da letto, ha detto. La vicinanza può aver contribuito alla loro carriera musicale. "Mi sveglio ai ragazzi l'armonizzazione e il canto," ha detto Jackson.

La crescente famiglia visse "giorno di paga di payday," stretching il denaro di vestire i bambini in abiti fatti in casa, sempre scarpe da esercito della salvezza, guardando gli annunci di giornale per la vendita e la guida nel paese a raccogliere ortaggi, ha detto.

"Sapere come cuocere una patata in ogni modo," Jackson scherzato, quando è stato chiesto se era un buon cuoco.

Jackson ha preso un lavoro di impiegato commerciale presso il negozio Sears Roebuck Gary appena prima che suo figlio più giovane, Janet, è arrivato, ha detto.

Michael Young è stato "un dolce little boy", ha detto, sempre 'sensibile e amorevole. Sua madre ha raccontata come 3-anno-vecchio Michael tenuto mano di Randy e piansi perché suo fratello era malato.

Sua madre ha visto segni precoci di talento di suo figlio. Egli avrebbe calci mentre tra le sue braccia quando ha sentito la musica, ha detto. "Quando ha iniziato a camminare, egli stava ballando."

Danza prima di Michael era al ritmo di una lavatrice vecchia arrugginita. "Egli era giù là ballare mentre succhia la bottiglia per il cigolio della rondella," ha detto.

Egli avrebbe "salvare i suoi spiccioli e nickels" per comprare caramelle, che ha usato per impostare un negozio. "Gli piaceva giocare 'negozio uomo'", ha testimoniato.

Mentre la famiglia aveva una vecchia televisione impostata, sarebbe spesso abbattere, ha detto. Suoi figli prima iniziò a cantare per divertimento quando non non c'era nessun soldi per pagare il riparatore di TV.
    I fratelli hanno preso il loro canto oltre la casa immettendo scuola talent show. "Aveva ottenuto così che hanno vinto tutti i concorsi," ha detto. "Vuoi vedere il Jacksons provenienti e dire 'Oh, mio Dio, che stanno andando a vincere di nuovo.'"

Loro madre inizialmente chiamato il loro gruppo "The Jackson 5 di fratelli", ma una donna che è stata la composizione di un annuncio per un aspetto abbreviato in "The Jackson 5," ha detto.

Prima esecuzione pubblica di Michael è venuto quando ha cantato "Climb Every Mountain" in un programma di scuola quando aveva solo 5, ha detto.

"Ha iniziato a cantare la canzone, e ha cantato con tale chiarezza, non piatta o nulla. Mi sono seduto lì e piansi. Ha ottenuto una standing ovation".

Sebbene Jermaine era inizialmente il cantante, Michael ha ottenuto il lavoro dopo che sua madre costretto il marito ad ascoltarlo cantare, ha detto.

Canto concerti ha iniziato a pagare dopo che artisti Motown Gladys Knight & i Pips e The Temptations cominciarono la loro assunzione come atti di apertura, ogni volta che essi sono stati esecuzione vicino Gary, ha detto. Fondatore di Motown Records Berry Gordy Jr. firmato Jackson 5 per un contratto, e loro primi quattro singoli è diventato No. 1 hits, ha detto.

La famiglia si trasferì a Los Angeles come "Mania di Jackson" era scoppiata, ha detto. "C'erano così tante ragazze intorno a lui casa che ho ottenuto così stanco di esso," ha detto.

I giurati ha visto una clip di 14-anno-vecchio Michael cantando "Ben" ai premi Oscar nel 1973. "Gli piaceva quella canzone perché amava i ratti", ha detto sua madre.

Ha poi detto una storia circa la scoperta di suo figlio aveva un topo in tasca durante la cena in un ristorante di Beverly Hills. "Ero molto arrabbiato con lui".

«Tutto è andato scuro»

Jackson descritto quando seppe che suo figlio era morto al pronto soccorso di UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center.

"Tutto è andato scuro e ho appena iniziato a urlare," ha detto.

Poi i bambini - Prince, Paris e Blanket - è sono detto.

"Parigi era urlando, guardando il cielo, dicendo: 'Papà, voglio andare con te, non posso vivere senza di te,'" ha testimoniato."Parigi mi ha guardato e ha chiesto 'Nonna, dove stiamo andando?' Le ho detto ' stai andando a casa con la nonna.' "

Parigi ha avuto "il tempo più difficile" dopo la morte di suo padre, ha detto.

"Uno dei miei nipoti mi ha detto che lei avrebbe detto loro che lei vuole andare dove il suo papà era," ha detto.

Ora 15, Parigi sono stata in una struttura psichiatrica per il trattamento, poiché un suicidio tentare il 5 giugno.

Gli avvocati di Jackson punteggiato loro presentazione con un montaggio di home video di Michael Jackson con i suoi figli, utilizzando una registrazione della sua canzone "Speechless". Jackson ha detto che suo figlio ha scritto la canzone d'amore di un padre per i suoi figli - e la mancanza di parole esprimere - in soli 45 minuti.

"Mrs. Jackson, ti manca il tuo figlio?" Lei ha chiesto come ha concluso il suo interrogatorio diretto Panish

"Parole non possono spiegare," rispose lei.

Croce esame dal team di AEG

Di Putnam interrogatorio di Katherine Jackson ha cominciato quando ha chiesto se era sua decisione personale - o qualcun altro - a presentare la querela di omicidio colposo.

Lei era da sola, ha detto. Lei non ha fatto discutere con suo marito o nipoti.

"Ho sentito un sacco di storie," ha detto. Il processo può portare le sue risposte, lei sperava.

"Voglio sapere la verità, ciò che è accaduto a lui," ha detto.

Jackson è apparso sconvolto, lamentano i suggerimenti di un avvocato di AEG Live la scorsa settimana che suo figlio è stato rotto quando morì.

«Perché ha dato in beneficenza,"ha detto. "Fa male sedersi qui e ascoltare tutte quelle cose".

Si lamentava di Putnam che dirigenti AEG Live non hanno chiamato "un medico esterno" per aiutare suo figlio dopo Visualizza regista Kenny Ortega li ha detto che aveva bisogno di aiuto urgente nei suoi ultimi giorni.

"Mio figlio aveva bisogno di un altro medico, non il Dr. Murray," ha detto.

Jackson ha poi ricordato una e-mail scritta da un alto dirigente AEG riferendosi a Michael Jackson come "the freak" poche ore prima della loro azienda firma l'icona pop per un affare enorme concerto.
    "Lo chiamavano un freak," ha detto. "Stavano facendo il divertimento di lui - 'Finalmente la possibilità di incontrare il freak'. "

"Mio figlio è morto", ha detto. "Egli non è qui a parlare per se stesso."

Testimonianza del dottor Conrad Murray?

Il medico che è stato condannato a morte di Jackson è "dopo il processo strettamente" dal carcere dove egli sta servendo una frase quattro anni, il suo avvocato, Valerie Wass, ha detto venerdì. Lei era in Aula per ascoltare la testimonianza di Jackson.
    Ha sorpreso i giornalisti dopo da accennando che Murray possono essere disposti a testimoniare al processo, nonostante precedenti firma una dichiarazione dicendo che avrebbe non poiché il suo appello è ancora in sospeso.

"È stata sua intenzione tutti insieme per far valere il suo privilegio del quinto emendamento, ma è qualcosa che noi stiamo rivalutando su una base quotidiana, ed è possibile che lui potrebbe voler testimoniare," ha detto Wass. Egli potrebbe "essere disposto a testimoniare su alcuni aspetti del caso."

Squadra di difesa di AEG Live ha detto il giudice la scorsa settimana non hanno alcuna intenzione di chiamare il medico come un testimone. Avvocato di piombo di Jackson ha detto venerdì non è "sicuro che Conrad Murray sta per aggiungere molto."

"Non vedo come potrebbe essere incriminato di raccontare la verità a questo punto," ha detto Wass. "Stiamo valutando. Stiamo entrambi discutendo la questione."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/22/showbiz/...on-death-trial/

0 replies since 22/7/2013, 13:08   25 views