From Asia To Africa, The King of Pop Emerges As A Global Platform For Philanthropy and Social Change

« Older   Newer »

1.     Top   -1

This is it

Group
    Administrator

Status

From Asia To Africa, The King of Pop Emerges As A Global Platform For Philanthropy and Social Change

jpg

Amid the developments of the ongoing Jackson vs. AEG trial, claims about Michael Jackson's posthumous earning power have been in the news lately. Recently, Cirque du Soleil premiered "Michael Jackson One" in Las Vegas, a co-creation with Jackson's estate. Meanwhile, Cirque's record-breaking touring show "Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour" has earned an estimated $300 million since it opened in 2011. As the fourth anniversary of his death nears, Jackson undoubtedly remains a money-making machine.

Yet the King of Pop gave the world more than entertainment and escapism: he also offered it charity and civic engagement.

The "King of Hearts" is how a twenty-something Chinese fan from Guangzhou province described the King of Pop to me.

A noted humanitarian, Jackson was hailed in the Guinness World Records for the most charitable contributions for a pop star (thirty-nine). He recorded charity singles such as "We are the World" and donated proceeds from multiple world tours to charities.

The deceased Jackson has in fact emerged as a global platform for philanthropy.

Spurred by Jackson's premature death at age fifty, fans from Asia to Africa make donations in his name and partner up with non-profits and charities to help complete Jackson's goals to raise awareness about the environment and provide charity for the impoverished and sick.

I witnessed firsthand Jackson's ability to inspire when I attended a Jackson fan tribute in Guangzhou, China, in 2011. During the unveiling of a sculpture of the King of Pop, fans took up a collection for UNICEF. Surprisingly, I heard from numerous Chinese fans that they preferred to watch footage of Jackson's philanthropy - visiting hospitals and distributing gifts to burn victims and cancer-ridden patients while on his world tours - even more than his performances.

Fans in Beijing took Jackson's messages about the environment to the streets. On the first anniversary of Jackson's death, they organized a "green bike march" in the highly polluted city to raise awareness about toxins and encourage the reduction of car emissions. Wearing Jackson T-shirts and sequined gloves, fans biked around the city blasting Jackson's music from boomboxes and carried signs such as the one that proclaimed in Chinese and English, "Protecting the environment starts with yourself -- I Heart MJ".

Chinese fans continue to follow Jackson's example, raising money for children with diseases. Some fans note that as a result of their exposure to Jackson's messages about the environment and charity in his lyrics and music videos, they are more aware of energy conservation, recycling, and wildlife preservation.

Then there's the American organization A Million Trees for Michael, a non-profit that partners with American Forests. AMTFM plants trees around the world in honor of Jackson. Their website states, "We're committed to carrying on with Michael's message...Our hope is to have 'Michael Jackson Memorial Forests' in as many countries as possible, on every continent, as Michael was so beloved all over the world."

Founder Trisha Franklin claims she was moved by Jackson's lyrics and visuals to save the environment in his posthumous concert film "This Is It", and wanted to put his plea into action. As of June 2013, AMTFM has planted 26,922 trees in Michael Jackson's name with contributions from the international fan community.

Another project to which Jackson fans contribute is the construction of an orphanage in Liberia, Africa, called "Everland". Initiated in 2011, this project helps children from Liberia and the Ivory Coast who are displaced and orphaned from civil war and the effects of disease. Everland is organized by Michael Jackson's Legacy, an Anglo-American charitable organization. MJL was founded by Dee, who was orphaned as a child and who, according to the site, "credits Michael for getting her through a traumatic childhood and later, for instilling in her a commitment and dedication to helping those less fortunate." As of June 2013, fans from thirty-one countries have donated $49,471 to Everland.

Apparently, the realm of entertainment provides an alternate route to civic engagement, as USC's Henry Jenkins has pointed out. Professor Jenkins studies the Harry Potter Alliance, a non-profit organization that uses themes from the Potter franchise to engage youth and encourage real-world social justice. The HPA's site claims to "empower our members to act like the heroes that they love by acting for a better world." The HPA mobilizes fans to raise money for disaster relief in Haiti, donate books for literacy projects, and raise funds for civilians in Darfur.

To be sure, philanthropy cannot fully address structural issues of development and inequality. Yet as concerned citizens we want young people to become involved in caring for the planet and its peoples. My students are interested in the HPA's work and intrigued by the possibilities of fan philanthropy. Fan philanthropy, in that case, can be a powerful tool for civic engagement and social change.

Dr. S.J. Martin is an anthropologist and Fulbright Scholar who publishes on media, culture and globalization in Hong Kong, China, and Hollywood. Martin teaches anthropology at Pomona College.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/From-Asia...l#comment436645
    -----------

Dall'Asia all'Africa il Re del Pop emerge come una piattaforma globale per la filantropia e il cambiamento sociale

Tra gli sviluppi del processo in corso Jackson contro AEG le affermazioni sulla capacità di guadagno postumo di Michael Jackson hanno fatto notizia ultimamente. Recentemente il Cirque du Soleil ha debuttato con il "Michael Jackson One" a Las Vegas, una co-creazione con l'Estate di Jackson. Nel frattempo lo spettacolo itinerante da record del Cirque, "Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour", ha guadagnato una cifra stimata di 300 milioni dollari da quando ha aperto nel 2011. Mentre il quarto anniversario della sua morte si avvicina, Jackson senza dubbio rimane una macchina per fare soldi.

Eppure, il Re del Pop ha dato al mondo più del divertimento e dell'evasione: ha anche offerto carità e impegno civico.

Il "Re di Cuori", così un ventenne fan cinese dalla provincia di Guangzhou mi ha descritto il Re del Pop.

Noto benefattore Jackson è stato inserito nel Guinness dei primati per il più alto numero di contributi ad associazioni di beneficenza per una pop star (trentanove). Ha registrato singoli per beneficenza come "We are the World" e ha donato i ricavi di diversi tour mondiali in beneficenza.

Il defunto Jackson è in effetti emerso come una piattaforma globale per la filantropia.

Stimolati dalla morte prematura di Jackson all'età di cinquant'anni, i fan dall'Asia all'Africa fanno donazioni in suo nome e si associano a enti non-profit e di beneficenza per aiutare a completare gli obiettivi Jackson di aumentare la consapevolezza sull'ambiente e fornire carità per i poveri e i malati.

Ho assistito in prima persona alla capacità di Jackson di ispirare quando ho partecipato a un tributo di fan per Jackson a Guangzhou, in Cina, nel 2011. Durante l'inaugurazione di una scultura del Re del Pop, i fan hanno fatto una colletta per l'UNICEF. Sorprendentemente, ho sentito da numerosi fan cinesi che preferivano guardare i filmati della filantropia di Jackson - le visite negli ospedali e la distribuzione di doni a vittime di ustino e malati di cancro durante i suoi tour mondiali - più ancora delle sue performance.

I fan di Pechino hanno portato i messaggi di Jackson sull'ambiente per le strade. Nel primo anniversario della morte di Jackson, hanno organizzato una "marcia verde in bicicletta" nella città altamente inquinata per sensibilizzare sulle tossine e favorire la riduzione delle emissioni degli autoveicoli. Indossando magliette di Jackson e guanti di paillettes, i fan hanno fatto il giro in bicicletta intorno alla città, facendo sentire la musica di Jackson da stereo portatili e portando cartelli come quello che proclamava in cinese e inglese, "La tutela dell'ambiente inizia con te stesso - I Heart MJ".

I fan cinesi continuano a seguire l'esempio di Jackson, raccogliendo fondi per i bambini affetti da malattie. Alcuni fan evidenziano che grazie alla loro esposizione ai messaggi di Jackson per l'ambiente e la carità nei suoi testi e video musicali, sono più consapevoli del risparmio energetico, del riciclo e della conservazione della fauna selvatica.

Poi c'è l'organizzazione americana "A Million Trees for Michael", un associazione non-profit che collabora con American Forests. AMTFM pianta alberi in tutto il mondo in onore di Jackson. Il loro sito afferma: "Siamo impegnati a portare avanti il messaggio di Michael... La nostra speranza è avere una 'Michael Jackson Memorial Forest' nel maggior numero di paesi possibile, in ogni continente, dato che Michael era così amato in tutto il mondo".

La fondatrice Trisha Franklin sostiene di essere stata toccata dai testi di Jackson e dalle immagini per salvare l'ambiente nel suo film concerto postumo "This Is It", e ha voluto trasformare la sua preghiera in azione. Fino al giugno del 2013 la AMTFM ha piantato 26.922 alberi in nome di Michael Jackson con il contributo della comunità internazionale dei fan.

Un altro progetto a cui i fan di Jackson contribuiscono è la costruzione di un orfanotrofio in Liberia, in Africa, chiamato "Everland". Iniziato nel 2011 questo progetto aiuta i bambini provenienti dalla Liberia e dalla Costa d'Avorio che sono sfollati e orfani per la guerra civile e per gli effetti della malattia. Everland è organizzato dalla "Michael Jackson Legacy", un'organizzazione caritatevole anglo-americana. MJL è stata fondata da Dee, che è rimasta orfana da bambina e che, secondo il sito, "dà il merito a Michael per essere riuscita a superare la sua infanzia traumatica e, più tardi, per aver infuso in lei impegno e dedizione per aiutare i meno fortunati." Fino a giugno del 2013 i fan di trentuno paesi hanno donato 49.471 dollari a Everland.

A quanto pare il regno dell'intrattenimento offre un percorso alternativo per l'impegno civile, come ha sottolineato Henry Jenkins della USC. Il Professor Jenkins studia l'Harry Potter Alliance, una organizzazione non-profit che utilizza temi dal franchise Potter per coinvolgere i giovani e favorire la giustizia sociale nel mondo reale. Il sito della HPA afferma di "responsabilizzare i nostri membri ad agire come gli eroi che amano per un mondo migliore." La HPA mobilita i fan a raccogliere fondi per operazioni di soccorso ad Haiti, donare libri per i progetti di alfabetizzazione e a raccogliere fondi per i civili in Darfur.

A dire il vero la filantropia non può risolvere completamente i problemi strutturali di sviluppo e di disuguaglianza. Eppure, come cittadini preoccupati, vogliamo che i giovani si impegnino nella cura del pianeta e dei i suoi popoli. I miei studenti sono interessati al lavoro della HPA e incuriositi dalle possibilità della filantropia dei. La filantropia dei fan in questo caso può essere uno strumento potente per l'impegno civico e di cambiamento sociale.

La dottoressa Sylvia J. Martin è un antropologa che scrive di media, cultura e globalizzazione ad Hong Kong, Cina, e Hollywood. Insegna antropologia al Pomona College

Traduzione 4everMJJ MJFS

0 replies since 25/6/2013, 12:48   82 views