1. Valerie77
        Top   -1

This is it

Group
    Administrator

Status

Bad 25 is the most important Music documentary in Years

BAD-25-michael-jackson-30912359-617-413_640_428_s_c1_center_top_0_0

On the amazing new documentary “Bad 25,” Vincent Paterson, choreographer of Michael Jackson’s short film for “The Way You Make Me Feel,” tells a story about what happened the first time Jackson walked up to his breathtakingly attractive co-star, Tatiana Thumbtzen. “One of the most amazing moments I remember,” he says, “is Michael walking, and he catches up to Tatiana and sings for the first time. Everything stopped. We had to stop shooting, because people just froze. They actually froze.”

The camera then turns to the extras, who have shirked their acting responsibilities to instead stand, spellbound, at the voice that just came out of the guy. And for someone who grew up with Wacko Jacko, the ghoulish creature from the Martin Bashir documentary, this scene—which showcases Jackson’s amazing dancing, his incredible natural singing talent, and his undeniable connection with an actual real-life beautiful female—is nothing more a revelation.

Yes, take away my Bro card. Last week I watched Spike Lee’s new documentary, an oral history of Jackson’s seventh album “Bad,” and I found it to be maybe the best music documentary of the last decade. There are many reasons for this, but the main one is that “Bad 25” spends its running time not going into the weird personal life we’ve heard ad nauseum, but instead focuses on the once-in-a-lifetime musical talent Jackson was. The bulk of its interviews go to the technical guys—the technicians, the choreographers, the studio musicians, and the producers—who were able to truly appreciate how different Jackson was from other creative artists. It plays songs from "Bad" in full, and it includes a ton of footage from his spellbinding live performances. These directing choices may have occurred because Lee is obviously a Michael fan. Unlike Bashir, he wasn’t interested in tearing down the Jackson myth; he wanted to build it back up.

To me, though, and to anyone else in our age group, “Bad 25” has a different effect than Lee, who wanted to pay tribute to one of his heroes, intended. The documentary gives you an actual introduction to Jackson’s music. It strips away the totally understandable preconceived notions we had to his work, which we knew only as the side career of a full-time madman. It's really a shocking thing to think about—but we never got to appreciate what he did until now.

“Bad 25” ends with Jackson performing “Man in the Mirror” at London’s Wembley Stadium on July 16, 1988. Since watching the doc, I’ve listened to this live album on repeat at work for 5 days straight. The album rocks—it’s not a shitty pop record with just, say, ballads to appease his softer fanbase. It kicks off with “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” played at a ridiculously fast beat, and until the album’s close, “Mirror,” you’re left listening to a concert that would be right up there with any great rock band’s performance. It makes you want to dig into his lesser known work from his ubiqutious albums like “Thriller” and “Bad.” Show of hands: Ever heard the song “Leave Me Alone”? Aware that it’s funny and bitter and illuminating in its frank depiction of paranoia as any song a major artist has released in the last 25 years? There was always way more to this guy’s arsenal than hits like “Billy Jean.”

Without “Bad 25,” I never would have been exposed to this side of Jackson. (It would have been easy to be exposed to it during the outpouring of grief that came with his death three years ago, but there was always something disingenuous about the people crying for us to remember him as an artist. It’s entirely conceivable that the people who attempted to give context to his death and his legacy were the same ones who were making Jacko jokes a week before.) The documentary has provided a perfect opportunity to separate a man we knew too much about from the music we never really got to appreciate.

Give it a watch. It’ll show you that you never actually knew one of the most famous men in the world.

www.brobible.com/music/article/bad-...entary-in-years

-------------
    TRADUZIONE

Bad 25 è il documentario musicale più importante in questi anni

Il nuovo incredibile documentario "Bad 25" vede Vincent Paterson, coreografo del cortometraggio di Michael Jackson per "The Way You Make Me Feel", raccontare la storia di quello che è successo la prima volta che Jackson si è avvicinato all'affascinante co-star, Tatiana Thumbtzen. "Uno dei momenti più belli che ricordo," dice, "Michael era in piedi, ha raggiunto Tatiana lentamente e si è messo a cantare. Tutto si è fermato. Abbiamo dovuto interrompere le riprese, perché la gente era ipnotizzata. Ci aveva addirittura ipnotizzati "

La fotocamera si accende poi lui compare, si sono dimenticati di ciò che dovevano fare, incantati, nel sentire la voce incredibile di quel ragazzo. E per chi lo ha cresciuto come Wacko Jacko, la creatura macabra saltata fuori dal documentario di Martin Bashir, questa scena, che mette in mostra le capacità incredibili di Jackson, il suo incredibile talento nel canto naturale, e il suo carisma innegabile, accanto ad una esemplare di bellezza femminile , è senza dubbio una rivelazione.
    La settimana scorsa ho visto il nuovo documentario di Spike Lee, una storia che racconta del settimo album di Jackson "Bad", e ho trovato che sia forse il documentario migliore di musica degli ultimi dieci anni. Ci sono molte ragioni per questo, ma la principale è che "Bad 25" parla costantemente della musica , non si inoltra nella sua vita personale, di cui abbiamo sentito parlare fino alla nausea, ma si concentra invece sul talento musicale che Jackson aveva. La maggior parte delle interviste è fatta ai tecnici, i coreografi, i musicisti in studio, ed i produttori,che hanno potuto apprezzare la diversità di Jackson rispetto ad altri artisti creativi. Si possono ascoltare brani di "Bad" in pieno, e vedere diversi filmati inediti delle sue performance dal vivo . Queste scelte di regia potrebbero essersi verificate a causa del fatto che Lee è ovviamente un fan di Michael. A differenza di Bashir, che non era interessato a demolire il mito di Jackson, voleva costruirne uno nuovo..

Per me, però, e per chiunque altro nella nostra fascia di età, "Bad 25" ha un effetto diverso , Lee ha voluto rendere omaggio a uno dei suoi eroi. Il documentario offre una effettiva introduzione alla musica di Jackson. Si porta via ogni nozione preconcetta di tutto quello che possiamo aver saputo sino ad ora del suo lavoro, che era il fulcro della sua vita. E 'davvero una cosa scioccante a cui pensare, ma non abbiamo mai avuto modo di apprezzare interamente quello che ha fatto fino ad ora.

"Bad 25" si conclude con la performance di Jackson "Man in the Mirror" al Wembley Stadium di Londra il 16 luglio 1988. Dopo aver guardato il documentario, ho ascoltato questo album dal vivo per 5 giorni di fila. Questo album, non è un disco pop con solo, diciamo, ballate per accontentare i fans più superficiali. Prende il via con "Wanna Be Startin 'Somethin'" suonato ad un ritmo incredibilmente veloce, e fino alla chiusura dell'album con"Mirror", si sente di aver ascoltato un concerto come essere stati a vedere dal vivo una rock band in esecuzione. Ti fa venire voglia di scavare nella sua musica meno nota o in album come "Thriller" e per alzata di mano "Bad".: Mai sentito la canzone "Leave Me Alone"? Siete consapevoli del fatto che è divertente e amaro e illuminante nella sua rappresentazione franca di paranoia ,di quanto possano essere stati tutti i brani dei maggior artisti negli ultimi 25 anni? C'era sempre modo di capirlo comunque, guardando nell'arsenale di questo ragazzo dove ci sono successi come "Billy Jean".

Senza "Bad 25," non avrei ma capito molte particolarità su Jackson. (Sarebbe stato facile essere coinvolti durante l'effusione di dolore che è arrivata con la sua morte tre anni fa, ma c'era sempre qualcosa di falso nelle persone che piangevano ricordandolo come un artista. 'Del tutto inconcepibile che le persone che hanno tentato di dare un contesto alla sua morte e alla sua eredità siano gli stessi che lo deridevano come Jacko, una settimana prima.) Il documentario ha fornito una perfetta opportunità per separare l' uomo che sapeva troppo della musica, da quello che non abbiamo mai veramente avuto modo di apprezzare .

Dategli un occhiata. E vi mostrerà che non avete mai realmente conosciuto uno degli uomini più famosi del mondo.

5 replies since 10/12/2012, 14:25   174 views